This post was most recently updated on July 28th, 2022
If you already have a Zoom meeting or webinar scheduled to start, you can convert it to a Zoom Events if you already have an existing Zoom meeting or webinar scheduled.
There are several topics covered in this article, including:
- Benefits of converting an existing Zoom meeting to a Zoom Event
- Things to remember when converting a Zoom meeting to a Zoom Event
- How to convert an existing Zoom meeting to a Zoom Event
- Registrant’s join experience for converted Zoom Event
- Registrants imported to newly converted Zoom Event
- Registrants joining converted Zoom Events with original Zoom meeting/webinar’s join link
- How to unlink an existing Zoom meeting from a Zoom Event
Prerequisites for converting a Zoom meeting/webinar to a Zoom Event
- Zoom desktop client
- Windows: 5.7.6 or higher
- macOS: 5.7.6 or higher
- Zoom mobile client
- iOS: 5.7.6 or higher
- Android: 5.7.6 or higher
- There are four different types of accounts: Pro, Business, Enterprise, and Education
- In order to create a paid event, you will need a Stripe or PayPal Business account
- License for Zoom Events is required in order to use this feature
- The version 5.7.6 of Zoom Events does support Zoom Events, but it may cause a blank lobby environment for hosts due to a dependency with Windows’ Webview package for Windows platform.
- It is strongly recommended that hosts update to the most recent version of the Zoom desktop client/mobile application in order to be able to take advantage of the latest Zoom Events and Webinar features.
Benefits of converting an existing Zoom meeting to a Zoom Event
In order to maximize the benefits of Zoom Events, you should convert your existing scheduled Zoom meeting into a Zoom Event before you start utilizing them. This will enable you to:
- Monetize the event by:
- Create free tickets, paid tickets, and restricted tickets for users on a guest list that can only be accessed by those on the guest list
- You can either sell tickets for one-time events, a series of events, or a drop-in event by offering them for purchase
- With enhanced branding visuals from Zoom Events’ registration page, along with the ability to embed fundraising functionality from Zoom Events’ registration page, you can drive registration for your event
- With the Zoom Events Dashboard, you can keep track of the sales of tickets, as well as manage refunds related to your Zoom Events registrations.
- With Zoom Events’ unique and secure process for adding guests to events, you are able to safeguard your events from possible threats
Things to remember when converting a Zoom meeting to a Zoom Event
As far as converting Zoom meetings using your PMI into Zoom Events is concerned, you cannot do so. Only Zoom meetings with a Meeting ID that was automatically generated at the time the Zoom meeting was created can be converted into Zoom Events.
In order to convert a series of recurring meetings, the original recurrence schedule must not have been changed at any point in time.
It’s important to note that once a Zoom Event has been published, its settings will override the original event settings (name, description, date, time, security settings, and event access method) for the meeting ID selected. The event cannot be edited externally.
Note: This extra step should be explained to the participants, and it would be helpful to ensure they are aware of it and that they should arrive 5 minutes earlier than the start time in order to sign into Zoom Events.
You will not be able to have users join your Zoom meeting via telephone once you convert it to a Zoom Event, even if such a feature is enabled for your Zoom meeting. In order to participate in Zoom Events audio, users will need to use their computer’s audio only.
How to convert an existing Zoom meeting to a Zoom Event
Note: Registrants outside of Zoom Events will have to reserve ticket capacity for them in order to participate in the event. You will only be able to invite users who have already registered from within Zoom Events to your event if there is no capacity set.
- You will need to sign in to Zoom Events in order to participate.
- You will find a Create button at the top of the page, just to the right of the menu.
- Then click the Event button.
- You will find the option to convert a Zoom Meeting / Webinar to a Zoom Event under the Basic Information section.
- Please read the disclaimer in the pop-up window and click on the Agree and Continue button at the bottom of the window.
- Click the Save button once you have entered the Meeting ID of the Zoom meeting you would like to convert into a Zoom event.
Note: As far as the specific Meeting ID is concerned, all the settings (name, description, date and time, as well as event security settings) for this event will use all the settings for the specified Meeting ID. The maximum number of characters that can be used in the name of Zoom Events is 75.
- In order to continue with the Event Card section, please complete the remaining sections, and then click Save & Continue.
- Click Save & Continue once you have completed the Event Profile section.
- As soon as you have entered a quantity for Meeting Participant Ticket (or Webinar Participant Ticket if you are converting a webinar), make sure to click on Save at the bottom of the page.
Note: The tickets that are being sold here are for guests who will join this event from outside the Zoom Events network. In order for guests to be able to join the event, they will be required to log into Zoom Events. The amount of external registrants beyond the allotted number of tickets you initially set will not allow all of the external registrants to be able to join the workshop if the number of external registrants exceeds your allotted ticket number.
- In order to publish the event to the event page, click Publish or save as a draft if you do not want the event to be published to the event page.
Registrant’s join experience for converted Zoom Events
The following experience should be expected when your converted Zoom meeting/webinar becomes a Zoom Event: Any participants that were imported during the conversion process, or participants who used the original meeting/webinar join link, will be able to join the converted Zoom Events as follows:
- It is expected that users will be able to access their new Zoom Events ticket from their Zoom Events ticket dashboard within minutes of using the newly issued Zoom Events join link.
Registrants imported to newly converted Zoom Events
All previously registered users will be automatically added to the Zoom Events’ Meeting Participant Ticket or Webinar Participant Ticket at the time of the meeting/webinar’s conversion to a Zoom Event if the Required option under Registration was enabled in the Zoom meeting/webinar before it converted to a Zoom Event.
In order to allocate tickets to these Attendees who originate from outside of Zoom Events, you as the Host will need to specify how many tickets should be allocated to them. It is also important to communicate to your audience the changes you are making to your Zoom meetings and webinars as well as the added features and advantages they will gain from using Zoom Events, such as a ticket wallet that allows easy access to all of your Zoom Events tickets after your Zoom meetings/webinars have been converted to Zoom Events.
Registrants joining converted Zoom Events with original Zoom meeting/webinar’s join link
Note: It is recommended that all Zoom clients be updated to the latest version in order to provide the fastest joining experience to all users. In addition, they should sign in to Zoom using the email address with which they originally registered, if they registered before the Zoom meeting or webinar was converted to a Zoom Event.
How to unlink an existing Zoom meeting from a Zoom Event
A Zoom meeting can only be unlinked from a Zoom Event if the event has not yet been published on the Zoom site.
- Zoom Events can be accessed by signing in to your account.
- You can access the Manage section of the page by clicking the Manage button in the top-right corner.
- Click on the Drafts tab.
- When you are viewing an event you would like to edit, click the Edit button to the right of the event.
- Linked Zoom Meeting/Webinar ID: [Number] will be visible on the right of the green box. Click on Unlink to the right of the box.
Note: Zoom will remove the Meeting Participant Ticket ticket type from its Events ticket types after the Zoom meeting/webinar is finally unlinked from the Zoom Events.