For hosts or participants of meetings and webinars, to view a shared screen alongside either the Speaker view or Gallery view, participants can switch to side-by-side mode so they can see both the shared screen alongside the view they choose. In addition to adjusting the size of the video and the screen shared, users can adjust the position of the separator between the two to modify the ratio between the two.
You can also specify whether or not the attendees will be able to see the screen side-by-side if they are using side-by-side mode.
Prerequisites for using Side-by-side mode screen sharing
- Version 4.1.8826.0925 or later of the Zoom desktop client for Windows, Mac OS, and Linux
- Note: If the dual-monitor setting is enabled, the side-by-side mode will not work.
How to view a shared screen in Side-by-side mode
- You can start a meeting or join one already in progress.
- The side-by-side view can be accessed while viewing a shared screen by clicking on the View Options button.
As you can see on the left there is the shared screen and on the right you can see the speaker.
- As you point your mouse over the boundary between the shared screen and the participant’s video, you should see a gray line entrenching both views while your pointer turns into a double arrow.
- The separator can be clicked and dragged to adjust the size of each view.
- To choose the view of the video to be displayed on the right side of the screen, you should click the View button in the upper-right corner; this will determine how many videos appear on the right side of the screen.
- Click View Options and then uncheck Side-by-side mode to get rid of Side-by-side Mode.
As soon as you leave the side-by-side mode, video thumbnails will appear either above the content or in the top right corner of the screen for fullscreen, depending on whether you are in a window mode or a fullscreen mode. Clicking and dragging the thumbnails during fullscreen mode will allow you to move them around.
How to automatically enter Side-by-side mode when a screen share starts
- Log in to the Zoom desktop client from your computer.
- Select your profile picture, and then click on Setup.
- Then click on the Share Screen button.
- Select the check box next to Side-by-Side Mode.
As soon as a participant shares their screen with Zoom, the program automatically switches to side-by-side mode.