The ability to seamlessly transfer meetings and webinars between devices is very convenient when you are busy and need to attend a meeting or webinar on another device and cannot take a meeting or webinar on your current device. No matter what kind of busy schedule you have with work or a busy schedule outside of work, this feature will give you the flexibility to participate in meetings and webinars as you need to, allowing you to take a meeting as you leave to walk the dogs or switch between devices when the battery is low. Or when you arrive at work and need some extra benefits of the desktop client, this feature will give you the benefit of using some features unique to it.
- The following settings and data cannot be transferred between devices when transferring a meeting or webinar. These settings and data include sent chat messages, raised hand status, any active local recordings, closed captions, submitted Q&A, and view of the full transcription, in addition to the chat messages and raised hand status. There are two ways to do this: by joining again after leaving or disconnecting from a session and by reenter the session.
- It is only possible for the host of a webinar as well as the co-host of the webinar to transfer the webinar between devices.
- Desktop client for Zoom
- For Windows, you will need version 5.7.6 or higher
- A macOS version of 5.7.6 or later is required
- Linux: 5.7.6 or a higher version
- A mobile app is available for Zoom
- A version of Android 5.7.6 or higher is required
- The iOS version must be 5.7.6 or higher in order to run
- On both devices, you need to be logged into the same account
Enabling meeting and webinar transfer for your account
In order to enable or disable the transfer of meetings and webinars for all users within the account, follow these steps:
- In order to edit the account settings, you will need to sign in to the Zoom web portal as an admin.
- You can find Account Management and Account Settings in the navigation menu on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the Meetings tab on the left side of the screen.
- Under the section called In Meeting (Basic), you will find a toggle that allows you to enable or disable users to be able to move meetings between devices.
- It is important to verify that the change has been made by clicking Enable or Disable if a verification message appears.
Note: Account Settings are not available to basic accounts, however, the account settings will already be enabled by default, so in this case they will be able to access this feature.
Transferring a meeting or webinar from another device
The option to switch meetings to another device is available if you are already registered to participate in a meeting or webinar on one device. If you are logged in to another device, you will see the list of meetings on that device that are upcoming.
Note:The host and co-host of the webinar are the only ones who are able to transfer a webinar between devices.
Windows | macOS
- You will need to open Zoom’s desktop client and sign in to it.
- You can view all upcoming meetings and webinars by navigating to the Home tab at the top of the screen.
There will be a change to the Start / Join button on the session listed as In Progress to a Switch button.
- To join the meeting or webinar, click the Switch button at the bottom of the screen. You will automatically be disconnected from the meeting when you have successfully joined the meeting through the desktop client, and you will be prompted to re-connect.
Android | iOS
- Sign in to the Zoom mobile app by opening the app on your smartphone.
- Go to the Meet & Chat tab and click on it.
- Using your mobile device, you can join a session listed as In Progress by tapping the Switch button next to the session listed as In Progress. You will automatically be prompted to disconnect the other device connected to the meeting when you have successfully joined on the mobile app.