In a channel or group chat, chat mentions can be used to notify specific participants of the message. Users will receive a notification if they are mentioned as long as they have not changed their notification settings. It is also possible to link a channel from a chat mention.
The forward slash (/) allows you to quickly perform actions in a 1-on-1, channel, or group chat by typing a forward slash (/).
Prerequisites for chat mentions and slash commands
- Desktop client for Zoom
- On Windows: version 5.2.0 or later
- For Mac: version 5.2.0 or higher
- On Linux: version 5.2.0
- Zoom mobile application
- On Android: version 5.2.0
- Zoom mobile application on iOS: version 5.2.0
Chat mentions are a great way to make an announcement to an entire channel, tag a specific user in a message for greater visibility, or direct a user to a specific channel. A space will automatically be appended to the end of a mention if you enter several sequential mentions. In all other cases, a space is not automatically appended.
- @all: Regardless of whether the members are active or not, all members of a channel will be notified.
- Note: In the event that you had at least 1,000 members in your channel with the use of @all, you would need to confirm before making the message visible to all.
- @[user’s profile name]: Send an email notification to the user. To start a direct chat thread with the user, click the mention after you’ve sent the message.
- #[channel name]: Enter a channel link.
- Note: There is no link to the channel mentioned in the version before 5.9.6. It is only visible if you are a member of the channel that is mentioned. A channel named General can be linked to by placing #General in place of #Anonymous in the channel description. The link is only visible to the members of the channel named General, so they will be the only users able to click the link and be redirected to the channel named General. If the channel is publicly accessible, then all members of the same account will be able to access the channel mention link in versions 5.9.6 and higher. A non-member can join the channel by clicking the link located on the top right of the channel page (if Advanced Chat Encryption is not enabled)
How to insert chat mentions
- Log into Zoom on your desktop or mobile device.
- Click on a chat thread.
- Click the @ or # symbol.
The conversation will appear in Zoom.
- Click or tap a mention to navigate through the lists of users or channels. Press Enter after selecting a mention on your desktop using the arrow keys.
How to view all your mentions
If you are @ mentioned in any of the messages, you can view all the messages. The functionality allows you to view a broader overview of messages where you were mentioned, it can even show you which messages you have not yet read.
- Signing into the Zoom desktop application is the first thing you will need to do.
- On the menu, select Chat.
- The mention button is located at the top left corner of the chat panel on your left.
At the top of the list, you will see your @ mentions in chronological order, with red indicators indicating unread messages.
- Hovering over a message and selecting Jump will let you move directly to the original posting area of the message, which is the place to react and/or respond directly to the message.
There will be a temporary highlight on a message within a chat group or channel in which you were mentioned.
/call: Zoom Phone allows you to make a call to a contact or a room listed in your contacts list. To receive the call, a Zoom Phone license must be present on the user’s computer or registered room. If the user has added a valid phone number to their profile, they can also be contacted if they have consented to be contacted.
/zoom: Using the instant meeting feature, you can start an instant meeting with a user or room from your contacts directory.
Using slash commands
- Open Zoom on a computer or on a mobile device.
- Browse the chat threads.
- Then, enter the forward slash (/).
Zoom will display a list of commands that go with slashes.
- Select the command that you want. Press the Enter key after selecting a command on the desktop.
- The user or room can be searched by entering a few characters, then clicking or tapping the result. If you’re on a desktop, you can also select a command by using your arrow keys, followed by Enter.
- The command will be run once you press Enter.