This post was most recently updated on July 28th, 2022
As part of Zoom’s mobile device management (ZDM) tool, system administrators are able to configure iPads to run autonomous single apps (ASAM) with Zoom’s mobile device management tool. Unless you are experiencing a network failure or are not signed into a Zoom Room, it will be impossible for you to exit the Zoom Rooms App when ASAM is enabled. The ASAM profile exists at the level of the room, so if you sign out of a room, you will be able to exit the app without losing your profile. In addition to upgrading the app (Zoom Rooms), the iPad’s operating system, renaming the device, and assigning it to a Zoom Room, you can also change its name. The phone will automatically log in to the Zoom Room that you have selected from the web once it has been assigned and the Zoom Room has been powered on. You do not need to enter an activation code, an email address for signing in, or a pairing code in order to use ZDM.
In this article, we will discuss the following topics:
- How to prepare iPads for ZDM enrollment
- Required iPad settings
- MDM certification
- How to enroll iPads in ZDM
- Individual enrollment
- Batch enrollment with Apple Business Manager (ABM)
- How to assign an enrolled iPad to a Zoom Room from Device Management
- Related articles
Prerequisites for using iPads with ZDM
- License for Zoom Rooms
- An account owner, an administrator, or a Zoom Rooms user has the following roles:
- There are currently two iOS Zoom Room controllers available for purchase
How to prepare iPads for ZDM enrollment
Required iPad settings
- Open up your iPad and take a look at it.
- Go to the Settings section, then to the General section, and then to the Software Update section. Finally, you need to disable the automatic update feature.
- You can go back to Settings by tapping the arrow in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- You can disable App Updates by tapping on the toggle beside Automatic Downloads in the App Store and then tap on the Off button.
- You can return to the Settings page by tapping the arrow in the top-right corner of the screen.
- In order to disable auto-locking, you need to tap Display & Brightness, then Auto-Lock, and then tap Never to set it to never.
If you want to manage Apple devices with Zoom, you will need an Apple MDM Push certificate. It is important that you first download the Apple MDM certificate and upload it to ZDM in order to authenticate it.
- Log in to the Zoom web portal by entering your username and password.
- Click the Device Management tab in the navigation panel, then click the Enrollment tab.
- The Apple tab can be found under Enroll Devices, under Enroll Devices.
- Once the certificate has been uploaded, click on the Save button.
- You can download the .scsr file by simply clicking on the Download link and saving it to your computer.
- Apple Push Certificates can be accessed with your Apple ID if you have signed in previously.
- Create a certificate by clicking on the Create a Certificate button.
- In step five, you downloaded the .scsr file that you need to upload.
- You can download the Apple MDM Push Certificate by clicking on the Download button below.
- Once you have downloaded the MDM Push Certificate from the Zoom web portal, you will need to upload it to the Zoom web portal.
How to enroll iPads in ZDM
- The Zoom web portal can be accessed by logging in to your account.
- Click Device Management from the navigation panel, then click Enrollment from the Enrollment section.
- Click on the Apple tab under the Enroll Devices section.
- Select Manual Enrollment from the drop-down menu.
- Make sure your device is set to supervised mode so that you can monitor it.
- The enrollment process can be started by scanning a QR code or entering an access code.
- In order to complete the enrollment process on your iPad, you will need to follow the instructions on the screen.
Note: It is necessary to install the Profile from the iPad if you are using iOS 12.2+ on your iPad. You can find this in the Settings menu, under General, under Profiles & Device Management. Finally, you need to tap on the Install button.
Batch enrollment with Apple Business Manager (ABM)
- The Zoom web portal can be accessed by logging in to your account.
- Select Device Management from the navigation panel, and then click Enrollment from the list of options.
- You will find the Apple tab under the Enroll Devices heading.
- Click on Automated Enrollment in order to begin the enrollment process.
- Select the Apple Business Manager (ABM) option on the left side of the screen.
- To upload a token, tap the Upload Token button.
- The public key for Zoom can be downloaded from Zoom’s website.
- With the help of your Apple Business Manager account, you can log in to the application.
- A MDM server can be added to your device by going to Settings, selecting Device Management Settings, then selecting Add MDM server.
- You will need to add the name of your MDM server and upload the public key you got from Zoom in step 7 on the MDM server.
- Save the file by tapping the Save button.
- Upload your MDM server token to Zoom after you have downloaded it.
- You can now return to ABM and click on Device Assignments once you have uploaded the token.
- Depending on which one you choose and which server you created in step 6, you can assign it to one of the three options.
- It is possible to immediately sync the assignment(s) by clicking Refresh on the Enrollment page on the Zoom web portal by simply clicking on it.
- Once the iPad has been booted for the first time, you will be presented with a screen to perform Remote Configuration, where you can install the app.
- As far as existing iPads are concerned, in order to receive a Configuration Zoom room display. If the video is off, this will show or hide your name or profile, you need to perform a factory reset on your iPad.
- When you are ready to begin the process of resetting the iPad, select Settings, then General, then Reset. As a last step, select Erase All Content and Settings from the menu.
- The configuration profile for the remote configuration will be installed by tapping the Next button on the screen that appears in the setup assistant.
Note: The Zoom Room app will automatically be installed and launched on your device after you have enrolled your device and completed the setup assistant screens. Now that you have access to ZDM, you can take advantage of the following features:
- Remotely upgrade Zoom Rooms app
- Enable Autonomous Single App Mode (ASAM)
- Enable Auto Sign in
- How to Rename a Zoom Room with MDM
How to assign an enrolled iPad to a Zoom Room from Device Management
In order to assign unassigned iPads to Zoom Rooms, they must first be enrolled in ZDM in order to be assigned.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal by entering your email address and set up a password at the individual meeting, go to the settings tab and enable it. This setting will give you an option to set your password.
- You can access the Device List by clicking on Device Management in the navigation menu.
- Once you have identified the iPad that is currently enrolled in ZDM, click the ellipse on the far right of the screen.
- Select Assign to Room from the drop-down menu.
- Select the device type you want to assign to the iPad, and then type or search for the room you wish to assign it to.
There are a number of Zoom Room Computers, Zoom Room Controllers, and Zoom Room Scheduling Displays that you can assign to the Zoom Room Computers.
- Assign the task by clicking the Assign button.
- How to set your iPad into “Supervised Mode”
- Manually adding devices to ABM