Virtual meetings have become the new norm since the COVID-19 pandemic, with web conferencing software such as Zoom being a popular choice. It’s easy to miss important details during these meetings, making it essential to use the Zoom recording feature. With this feature, you can record meetings and review missed points later on. It’s also useful for those who couldn’t attend, as they have a chance to catch up.
However, recording a Zoom meeting isn’t always straightforward. You need to meet certain requirements and follow specific steps. That’s why we’ve created this guide to walk you through the process of recording a Zoom meeting successfully, whether you’re using a laptop or mobile device.
How can a Zoom meeting be recorded on a laptop?
To record a Zoom meeting on your laptop as a host, you can use the built-in recorder feature available for both free and paid users. Follow these simple steps:
- Launch the Zoom app, and start a brand new meeting as the host.
- To begin recording, select the option to Record from the menu on the bottom of the screen.
- If you are a free user, the recording you make will be saved in the folder on your local computer automatically.
- On the other hand, if you have a paid subscription to Zoom, a recording option will appear, and it will ask you where you would like to save your file: You have the option of recording directly to this computer or to the cloud.
- The recording will begin as soon as you press the record button, and an indication labeled “Recording” along with icons to pause and stop the recording will display in the top left corner of your screen. You can utilize the “Pause icon” whenever you want to pause the recording. You have the option of using the “Stop icon” to halt the recording process, or you can hit the Alt + R key combination on Windows or the Command + Shift + R key combination on a Mac.
- As soon as you stop recording, Zoom will immediately begin converting your recordings into a format that can be read by other devices.
- Local recordings are stored on your hard drive locally, whereas cloud recordings are stored in an online folder in the cloud that is immediately accessible to you. Both types of recordings can be accessed on your hard drive.
It is important to keep in mind that recordings consisting of only audio are saved as M4A formats in audio folders, while recordings consisting of only video are saved as MP4 formats in video folders.
Can a Zoom meeting be recorded if you are not the host?
Yes, it is possible to record a Zoom meeting if you are not the host. There are two ways to do this:
- Requesting permission from the host:
Typically, only the host has the authority to record a Zoom meeting. As a participant, you will need to ask for the host’s consent before you can record the meeting within the Zoom application. The host can grant participants permission to record by following these steps:
- During the Zoom call, click on Participants.
- Hover over the name of the participant you want to grant recording access to, and click the More icon (three horizontal dots) next to their name.
- Select the “Allow to Record Local Files” option.
- Using a third-party meeting recorder:
You can use a third-party meeting recorder such as OBS Studio, Camtasia, or Bandicam to record the Zoom meeting. To do this, you need to set the recorder to capture your computer screen and audio. However, keep in mind that using a third-party recorder without the host’s permission may violate Zoom’s terms of service and may also be illegal in some jurisdictions.
To record a Zoom meeting as a participant with permission from the host, you can follow these steps:
- Ask the host for permission to record the meeting. Only the host has the authority to grant permission to participants to record a meeting.
- Once the host has granted permission, click the Record button in the Zoom toolbar at the bottom of the screen.
- Select Record on this Computer or Record to the Cloud, depending on your Zoom plan and preferences.
- The meeting will now be recorded, and you can stop the recording by clicking the Stop Recording button on the Zoom toolbar.
- The recording will be saved to your local hard drive or cloud storage, depending on your recording settings.
It’s important to note that recording a Zoom meeting without permission is a violation of Zoom’s terms of service and may also be illegal in some jurisdictions. Be sure to obtain permission from the host before recording a meeting to avoid any potential legal or ethical issues.
I believe there is a mistake in the previous message, as SMS alerts are not sent when participants lose recording access. Instead, participants will see a notification on their screen indicating that recording has been disabled for them.
To disable a participant’s recording access as the host, you can follow these steps:
- During a Zoom call, select Participants.
- Hover over the name of the participant whose recording access you want to revoke and click the More icon (three horizontal dots) beside it.
- Select the Remove Permission to Record Local Files option.
The participant will see a notification on their screen indicating that recording has been disabled for them.
One of the best third-party Zoom recording software is OBS Studio (Open Broadcaster Software). OBS Studio is a free and open-source software that allows you to record your screen and audio, including Zoom meetings, with high quality.
To use OBS Studio to record a Zoom meeting, you need to follow these steps:
- Download and install OBS Studio on your computer.
- Launch OBS Studio and click on the “+” button in the Sources section to add a new source.
- Choose “Display Capture” and select the screen that you want to record.
- Click on the “+” button in the Audio Mixer section to add a new audio source.
- Choose “Audio Output Capture” and select the audio output that you want to record, such as your computer’s speakers or a microphone.
- Open Zoom and start your meeting.
- In OBS Studio, click on the “Start Recording” button to begin recording.
- When the meeting is finished, click on the “Stop Recording” button to end the recording.
After recording, you can find the video file in the location you specified in OBS Studio’s settings. OBS Studio offers many customization options to adjust the recording settings, such as resolution, frame rate, and bitrate, to suit your needs.
How to record a Zoom meeting without authorization?
First, you need to download and install a third-party recording software, such as Airgram assistant, on your device.
Next, you can join the Zoom meeting as a participant, and then open the third-party recorder to start recording the meeting.
Make sure to adjust the recording settings, such as audio and video quality, according to your preferences.
Once the meeting is over, you can stop the recording and save it to your device.
It’s important to note that recording a Zoom meeting without the host’s permission may not be allowed by your organization or by law in your country. It’s always best to seek permission from the host or to check with your company’s policies before recording any online meetings.
How do I enable recording in Zoom?
To enable recording in Zoom, go to your settings and select the Recording tab. From there, you can enable local or cloud recording options.
Can I record a Zoom meeting on my phone?
Yes, you can record a Zoom meeting on your phone by tapping the Record button during the meeting.
How long can I record a Zoom meeting?
The duration of a Zoom meeting that can be recorded depends on your account type. Free accounts can record up to 40 minutes per meeting, while paid accounts can record longer meetings.
Can participants record a Zoom meeting?
Yes, participants can record a Zoom meeting with the permission of the host, or by using third-party recording software.
Can I record a Zoom meeting without permission?
No, you cannot record a Zoom meeting without permission from the host, unless you use third-party recording software.
How do I get permission to record a Zoom meeting?
As a participant, you can request permission to record a Zoom meeting from the host during the meeting.
How do I grant permission to record a Zoom meeting?
As the host, you can grant permission to participants to record the meeting by selecting their name in the Participants window and choosing “Allow to Record”.
Can I edit a Zoom recording?
Yes, you can edit a Zoom recording using video editing software.
How do I access my Zoom recordings?
You can access your Zoom recordings in your local folder or in the cloud, depending on your recording settings.
Can I share my Zoom recording with others?
Yes, you can share your Zoom recording with others by sharing the recording link or uploading the recording to a cloud storage service.
How do I download a Zoom recording?
You can download a Zoom recording by going to the recording tab in your account settings, selecting the recording, and choosing “Download”.
How do I delete a Zoom recording?
You can delete a Zoom recording by going to the recording tab in your account settings, selecting the recording, and choosing “Delete”.
Can I schedule a Zoom meeting to automatically record?
Yes, you can schedule a Zoom meeting to automatically record by enabling the “Automatic Recording” option in your meeting settings.
How do I add a transcript to a Zoom recording?
You can add a transcript to a Zoom recording by using third-party transcription services or by using Zoom’s built-in automatic transcription feature.
How do I disable recording in Zoom?
As the host, you can disable recording in Zoom by going to your meeting settings and selecting “Recordings”.
How do I prevent participants from recording in Zoom?
As the host, you can prevent participants from recording in Zoom by disabling the “Allow Record” option in your meeting settings.
Can I record a Zoom meeting in HD?
Yes, you can record a Zoom meeting in HD by enabling the “Optimize for 3rd party video editor” option in your recording settings.
How do I share my Zoom recording on social media?
You can share your Zoom recording on social media by uploading the recording to a video hosting service and sharing the link on your social media account.
Can I record a Zoom meeting in the background?
Yes, you can record a Zoom meeting in the background by using third-party recording software.
How do I troubleshoot recording issues in Zoom?
To troubleshoot recording issues in Zoom, make sure that you have the latest version of the Zoom app, check your recording settings, and ensure that your device meets the system requirements for recording.