This post was most recently updated on July 28th, 2022
You have the option to remain muted because of the push-to-talk feature for the duration of your Zoom meeting. You will need to hold down the spacebar to become unmuted and start talking again.
You can learn about all of the control options available for a host or for an attendee.
Push-to-talk requirements before you can use it
- Version 4.1.23108.0402 or later of the Zoom desktop client for Mac OSX
- Version 4.1.23108.0402 of the Zoom desktop client for Windows should be installed
- In order to access your Zoom desktop client settings, you will need to click on your profile picture on the left side of the screen.
- Click on the Audio tab.
- To temporarily unmute the microphone, select the option Press and hold the ‘Space Key’.
- Your microphone will now be unmuted temporarily. Your settings can now be closed.
How to use push-to-talk
The spacebar can be used if you want to talk in a Zoom meeting and the Zoom window is focused when you are muted when in a Zoom meeting. A message will display on your screen to indicate that you are temporarily unmuted. The microphone will turn green when you speak.
Note: If the host has disabled the capability of unmuting participants with push to talk, then it won’t be possible for you to unmute yourself.