It is easy for phone users to answer calls that are currently awaiting in a call queue by using a call queue pickup code. In order to receive call queue notifications and to answer queue calls outside business hours, members of the call queue may use the pickup code if they have opted out of call queue notifications. Any phone user who is in the same area as the call queue can also pick up the call using the pickup code.
For instance, in a large retail environment where a large number of workers are always busy, there is a greater chance that they will not always be near a phone, so it is more convenient to have them answer queue calls when needed rather than waiting in front of it.
In order for an admin to enable the feature, they will have to generate a unique pickup code for the call queue so they can pick up the call. As part of the call queue profile, you have the option of customizing this code.
This article covers:
- How to enable a call queue pickup code (admins)
- How to use a call queue pickup code
Prerequisites for setting up the call queue pickup code
- Accounts for professionals, businesses, or students
- Ownership or administrative rights on the account
Prerequisites for using the call queue pickup code
- Business, education, or pro accounts
- License for Zoom Phone
- There must be a phone user present at the same location that the call queue is located
- For Windows, macOS, or Linux, Zoom desktop client version 5.6.0 or higher is required
- For Android or iOS, you need Zoom mobile app version 5.6.0 or higher on your smartphone or tablet
How to enable the call queue pickup code (admins)
The call queue can be enabled and customized by the admin
- You will need to sign in to the Zoom web portal.
- Select Phone System Management from the navigation menu and then select Call Queues from the drop-down menu.
- You will be able to enable a pickup code for the call queue you wish to enable by clicking the name of the queue.
- On the Policy tab, you will find a number of options.
- Please make sure that the toggle for Pickup Codes for Call Queues is enabled before proceeding.
A unique pickup code will be generated for the call queue by Zoom.
- On the Profile tab, you will find a number of options.
- The Pickup Code can be viewed or edited by clicking the Show or Edit button next to it.
- (Optional) You can change the code by entering a new 4-digit code and clicking Save.
- These requirements must be met by the pickup.
- A four-digit number
- There can’t be a zero(0) at the beginning
- Other call queues on the site cannot use this queue.
- Numbers like 1111 or 1234 cannot be repeated or sequential.
How to use the call queue pickup code
Even if you’ve opted out of call queue notifications, or are answering calls outside your business hours, you can call a pickup code to answer queue calls. You can contact your admin if you are unsure of a call queue’s pickup code.
- Log in to Zoom on your desktop or mobile device.
- It is very important that you have a pickup code for an inbound caller who is waiting in your call queue with the pickup code you have.
- The Phone tab can be accessed by clicking or tapping it.
- In order to reach the call queue pickup code, dial and call the number preceded by a *, for example, *991212.
- Please ensure that you do not set your number of the call queue that has the pickup code as the direct number of your caller ID. The pickup code will not be able to be called if you do this.
- There will be an automatic answer if there is a call waiting in the queue at the moment.
- If there is no one in the queue, you will hear an audio prompt saying that there is no one waiting to connect with you, and then the call will automatically end if there is no one waiting to connect with you.
- The call queue must be located at the same site as you are.