This post was most recently updated on July 23rd, 2022
Using the Zoom mobile app or desktop client, users can send and receive text messages (SMS) by using the Zoom phone app or desktop client. In addition, you will also be able to get granular control and security over company messaging, in addition to a comprehensive overview of your usage and charges. To set up SMS for the phone users in your account, please follow the instructions in this article.
Our frequently asked questions about SMS can provide you with information about the limitations of SMS. There is also the possibility of setting up SMS in order to deal with call queues or auto receptionists.
Note: It is necessary for phone users to meet additional prerequisites before they can use SMS.
Before you can enable SMS at the site or extension level, you must enable it at the account level first.
Enable SMS for an entire account
- Log in to the Zoom web portal by entering your Zoom username and password.
- Select Account Management from the navigation menu, and then select Account Settings from the Account Management menu.
- On the Zoom Phone tab, select the Zoom Phone option.
- The SMS feature needs to be enabled in the settings.
Enable SMS for select sites
- The Zoom web portal can be accessed by logging into your Zoom account.
- You can access the company information by clicking Phone System Management on the navigation menu.
- Choose a site from the list and click on it.
- Click on the Policy tab on the left side of the screen.
- Ensure that SMS is enabled on your phone.
Phone user or site
You can enable SMS at the account level, within the policy settings, by enabling the SMS feature at the phone user level, and you can also enable SMS at the site level.
Phone user template
Additionally, you can set up SMS templates for using the phone, which can be applied to a group of users at the same time.
Enabling international SMS
There are also options to allow users of the phone to send SMS to certain countries and regions by enabling international SMS functionality.
- We will be metered the rates for sending text messages to international phone numbers according to the table below that outlines the international messaging rates. In the phone usage reports, you will be able to see SMS charges that have been incurred.
- Zoom needs to enable this feature on your account in order for you to use it. The feature will be enabled after you contact Zoom and it may take up to 3 business days for you to receive a response.
- Sign in to the Zoom web portal by entering your email address and password.
- Click on the Phone System Management link in the navigation menu, then click the Company Info link.
- Depending on whether you have more than one site, you can choose from one of these options:
- Click on the name of the site you would like to edit if you have enabled multiple sites.
- Click Account Settings if you wish to disable multiple sites at the same time.
- Select the Policy tab on the left side of the screen.
- Ensure that SMS is enabled on your phone.
- Make sure that the option Allow International SMS is selected.
- Select the country or region you would like to add.
- By selecting a country/region from the drop-down menu, you will be able to restrict SMS messages from your phone to that specific area.
Setting the data retention policy
By using the site-level policy settings for SMS, you can set a policy that specifies how long SMS data will be retained.
- Log in to the Zoom web portal by entering your user name and password.
- Click the Phone System Management link in the navigation menu, then click the Company Info link.
- Choose the site that you want to edit by clicking on its name.
- On the left side of the screen, click the Policy tab.
- Click on Edit in the section titled Auto Delete Data After Retention Duration for the option to automatically do this.
- In the SMS/MMS section, select the period of time for which SMS data will be retained.
- You can decide what happens to SMS messages after the retention duration has expired by selecting the After Retention Duration drop-down menu.
Note: In addition to phone data, this setting is intended to apply to SMS messages as well.
Viewing SMS logs
In order to see which SMS messages have been sent by and received by users of your phone, you can view SMS logs.
- There may be a limit to the amount of SMS logs that can be viewed based on the SMS data retention policy.
- To see the SMS charges for your phone, you need to view the phone usage reports.
- Take a look at the SMS adoption and usage dashboard for a better understanding of SMS metrics.
- Log into the Zoom web portal by entering your email address and password.
- Click on Phone System Management in the navigation menu, and then click on Logs at the bottom of the page.
- Select the SMS tab on the left side of the screen.
- (Optional) You can filter or search SMS log entries using the controls at the top of the page.
- You can view the content of the SMS conversation by clicking View in the right-hand column.