This post was most recently updated on July 23rd, 2022
It is possible to set up a Zoom Phone Appliance as a common area phone, ensuring that anyone may use the phone if it has been assigned to them, by using the Shared Offices feature.
Note: There has been a change in the way Shared Offices are displayed in the Users & Rooms section of the Zoom Access page if your Zoom account is set up after May 21, 2022, or if you have enabled the New Common Area Experience.
Prerequisites for setting up an appliance as a common area phone
- Admin or owner privileges for the account
- A license for Zoom Phone is required
- In order to operate the Zoom Phone Appliance, you need to
- In your Zoom account, you will be able to use Zoom’s Shared Office feature
How to set up an appliance as a common area phone
- The Zoom web portal can be accessed by logging into your Zoom account.
- You can access Phone System Management by clicking ‘Phone System Management’ then ‘Users & Rooms’ in the navigation menu.
- Select the Shared Offices tab on the left side of the screen.
Note: The Shared Offices feature in the Users & Rooms page has migrated to the New Common Area tab in the event that you created a Zoom account after May 21, 2022 or if you enabled the New Common Area Experience on your account.
- Enter the following information in the Add box and click Add:
- Site (only visible if you have multiple sites): In the Common Area Phones drop-down menu, you can select the site you would like the phone to belong to.
- Display Name: All common area phones should be identified by a display name, which identifies the particular phone.
- Description (Optional): Use the space provided to provide a description that will be helpful in identifying the common area phone.
- Extension Number: Here you will be able to enter the extension number that you want to assign.
- Package: Specify the number of outgoing calls to be assigned to the package.
- Please click on the Save button to save your changes.
- You can access the Device List by clicking the Device Management link on the navigation menu.
- In order to set up a common area phone in a shared office, you must first click the display name of the device you wish to assign to the shared office.
- When the Assignment drop-down menu appears, select the Shared Office option from the drop-down menu near Assign To.
Note: Alternatively, if the appliance already belongs to a user, click Remove from User, then click Remove to confirm that it is removed.
- Select the Shared Office that you added in step 4, enter the display name, and click the Assign button to assign it.
Rebooting of the phone will take place automatically as soon as it is turned on.