As part of the companion mode, your provisioned desk phone is integrated with Zoom meetings. With this feature, you will be able to do the following:
- Use your desk phone as an audio device for a scheduled Zoom meeting you’d like to join.
An example of this is when you see a meeting notification on your calendar, you can immediately join it. By pressing the Zoom meeting key on your desk phone when you have joined the meeting using the Zoom desktop client, you will be able to connect to the audio on your desk telephone.
- You will receive an invitation to a meeting. Utilize your desk telephone as a means of joining the meeting.
- A colleague invites you to a Zoom meeting using the Zoom desktop client. A desk phone call will appear on your desk, and you will need to accept it to join audio. During a desktop meeting, you can accept the invitation to enable video and screen sharing as well.
- Support for companion mode on the desk phone
- Has been disabled for meetings that use end-to-end encryption
Added the line key for companion mode
It is necessary to include the Zoom Meeting key to your line keys before you can use companion mode with your desk phone:
- To access Zoom’s website, you need to sign in.
- To do that, click on the Phone link in the navigation bar.
- On the next page, select Settings.
- Scroll down to Keys and Positions, and click View or Edit.
- Select Manage Keys from the list.
- Select Zoom meeting as the key type, then click the Set Key button in one of the keys.
- The Alias (Optional) column should comprise of an alias that you wish to display on the screen of the phone. When you use the meeting line key, Zoom Meeting will be displayed by default.
Joining a scheduled Zoom meeting and using your desk phone as the audio device
- The Zoom desktop client can be used to join a meeting.
The meeting line key will appear solid red on your desk phone when you are using companion mode.
- The Zoom meeting key is automatically labeled Zoom. However, it may have been changed when you set up companion mode.
- Select Zoom from your desk phone.
- Your desk phone will be your audio device. It will use your desk phone if you’re currently using your computer for audio.
- If you’re using a computer for video or screen sharing, you can continue to use Zoom.
Receiving a meeting invite and joining the meeting using your desk phone as the audio device.
- Once you receive a meeting invite, you will be able to join the meeting via the Zoom desktop client.
A meeting line key will also flash green when an incoming call can be seen on your desk phone.
- The meeting line key that appears on your desk automatically says Zoom Meeting. During companion mode setup, it may have been changed to say Zoom Meeting.
- Your desk phone will notify you when an incoming call has been received. Press one of the following options:
- The desktop client is required for video / screen sharing, as well as your desk phone for audio.
- Use your desk phone to join meetings.
- Ignore the invitation to the meeting.
- As soon as you join the meeting, you’ll see the meeting key being solid red.
Recommended meeting settings
If you are frequently using companion mode, change the following settings to enhance your experience:
In the web portal settings, you can disable the waiting room feature so that the meeting participants will not need to be manually admitted to the meeting. If you are accustomed to joining join video meetings using a phone and do not use the desktop client in order to share your screen and video, then this can be very useful for you.
- Become a member of Zoom by logging in.
- From the menu, select Settings.
- Make sure that Waiting Room is disabled under the Meeting tab of the Zoom web portal.
Turn off your desktop client’s video preview in its settings. This will permit you to participate in the meeting immediately without having to wait for the video preview window to appear first.
- You will need to sign in to your Zoom account.
- First, click on your profile photo and then choose Settings.
- The video preview will always appear when your computer joins a meeting if that is selected in the Video tab.
- The option to disable this feature when joining or starting a meeting can also be disabled by checking the Uncheck always display video preview box in the video preview window in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
You should enable the option of joining audio automatically by the computer in your desktop client’s settings. Once this option is enabled, you will not have to see the Join Audio window when you wish to join a meeting.
- Open the Zoom desktop client on your computer and sign in.
- To access your profile settings, simply click your profile picture.
- Make sure that whenever you join a new meeting, the Audio tab is already selected and the option to automatically join audio from the computer is chosen.
- In addition to the support for this feature in the join audio window, you can also enable it by checking the Auto-join audio by computer check box when joining or starting a meeting.