Zoom’s desktop client allows pairing with your Zoom Room, so that you can start your meeting from the Zoom desktop client without having to rely on the Zoom Room controllers. As people return to their offices and Zoom Room controllers aren’t always in the most convenient locations, this allows you to start a meeting from the Zoom desktop client.
The Zoom mobile app can also be paired with nearby Zoom Rooms, allowing the user to start or join the meeting on the Zoom Room directly from their mobile devices, as well as control the Zoom Room directly through the mobile application.
- In order to be able to pass a meeting to the Zoom Room that is paired with the Zoom desktop client, first the Zoom desktop client must be paired with the Zoom Room. When the meeting is paired, the meeting cannot be passed to that Zoom Room.
- When paired with Zoom Rooms, you will only be able to use the Zoom Room on the same account that’s set up for the desktop client.
It is necessary to meet the following requirements in order for Zoom Rooms to work with the Zoom desktop client
- You must have account owner or admin privileges in order to edit account settings
- for Zoom mobile app
- Windows version 5.7.0 or higher
- macOS version 5.7.0 or higher
- for the Zoom Rooms
- Windows version 5.6.7 or higher
- macOS version 5.6.7 or higher
What you need to do to enable pairing on your account
For all users in the account to be paired with a Zoom Room through the desktop client, please follow the following steps:
- Whenever you have the privilege to edit account settings, you must sign in to Zoom through the web portal as an admin.
- Navigate to Account Management -> Account Settings via the navigation bar.
- Select Meetings from the Meetings drop-down menu.
- If you would like to enable this feature in Zoom client, then click the Show “Pair with Room” toggle to make it enableable from More Settings.
- After making the change, you will be asked to confirm it by clicking Enable.
- In that case you would need to click the Lock icon, confirm the locking procedure by clicking Lock to complete the setting, and then click Lock if you want the setting to be mandatory for all users in your account.
The Zoom desktop client allows you to pair up with other Zoom users
- Sign in to the Zoom desktop client by clicking the link below.
- Once you are there, click on the settings button next to your profile picture.
- In the General tab, make sure that the display of “Pair with Room” on the front screen navigation bar is turned on by selecting the check box next to this option.
- An option that is grayed out means that it has been disabled by the account administrator.
This guide will show you how to pair your Zoom Room with your computer
- Log in to your Zoom account through the Zoom desktop client using your email address and password.
- Locate and click the Zoom Room pairing button located in the top-right corner of your profile picture in order to pair up with another Zoom Room.
When your desktop client is launched, it tries and connects to nearby Zoom Rooms or to Personal Zoom Rooms that are available in your area. The pairing process will notify you when the pairing is successful, letting you know which Zoom room the client is now paired with.
You can manually pair with another Zoom Room nearby if automatic pairing doesn’t work or if you want to pair with a different Zoom Room nearby.
- You can pair another room automatically by clicking the Zoom Room pairing button or manually pair the Zoom Rooms by clicking the Pair with Another Room button.
- The Zoom Room will display a Shared Key on the screen and this can be accessed with the Shared Key. The Shared Key can be entered by clicking the Pair button.
You will receive an alert the moment the client is paired with a Zoom Room. This will inform you of the Zoom Room the client has been paired with.
Here are a few tips on how to start and join meetings with the Zoom Room
Due to the Zoom desktop client being paired and tied into nearby Zoom Rooms, you are able to join or start meetings in those Zoom Rooms.
- Join or start a meeting that has been scheduled. You will be given the option of joining from the room or my computer as soon as you click the Join button.
- When you click Join from Room, the Zoom Room of the meeting will join the meeting when you click Join.
You will remain connected to the meeting through your desktop client as well; however, the video and audio will be turned off.
What to do if you want to unpair the Zoom Room
You can disconnect your desktop client from the Zoom Room by clicking Unpair at any time on the Zoom Room pairing icon, which is found in the top right-hand corner of the Zoom desktop client. As soon as someone taps the Leave button on the Zoom Room control tablet, the Zoom Room will stay connected to the meeting for the duration of that meeting.