Using Google Hangouts Chat integration for Zoom
You can initiate an instant meeting or join an existing meeting using the BOT commands of Zoom’s Hangouts Chat integration. Whenever you create a meeting through Hangouts, it will show up in your Zoom account meeting list.
Prerequisites for Hangouts Chat
- You will need a Google Hangouts account to use this service
- Zoom App Marketplace has pre-approved the Google Hangouts app and it has been added to the store
- If your Zoom administrator does not approve the app, contact them.
How to install and configure Hangouts Chat
Install and configure from the Zoom App Marketplace
- You will need to sign in using your Zoom account to access the Zoom App Marketplace.
- For you to locate Hangouts, simply enter the word Hangouts in the search box at the top right of your screen.
- Click on Hangouts from your search results and the app should appear.
Note: The app must be pre-approved for your account, so if the app is not, please contact your Zoom administrator to have it approved.
- When adding the app, complete the following steps.
- Review the permission requests the app requests, and then click Allow.
As a result, your Google Hangouts account will be redirected to your Zoom Bot account and it will be made available for you.
Install and configure the integration from Hangouts Chat
- You will need to log into your Google Hangouts account in order to do so.
- You will need to click on the plus sign and then click on Message a BOT.
- After clicking on the BOT, you will be asked to search for Zoom.
You will then be greeted by the Zoom BOT. When you reply, the Zoom BOT will ask for authorization and configuration information.
- To set up the BOT, simply click Configure in the Pop-up window that follows.
As soon as you have logged in with Hangouts Chat, you will be directed to the Zoom integration page.
- You will be able to access the Zoom BOT at any time once you sign in and authorize.
How to use the Zoom BOT
List all commands
If you type help, all available commands will be displayed. If you type help, the following information will be displayed:
Start a meeting
- Type @Zoom.
- Choose the Zoom Bot from the list.
- Select the start button to begin the meeting.
Note: As a result of this, the meeting will be created in your Zoom Meeting list with the meeting settings selected from your Zoom Meeting settings. In addition, if you have set your meeting settings to require a password, a message will be sent to all participants that contains the password.
- You can join the meeting by clicking Join.
The Zoom application will be launched once the Zoom link is opened in your browser.
Start a meeting with a specific topic
- Type @Zoom.
- Click on the Zoom Bot that appears
- In order to start a meeting with the specified subject, you will need to type the start key followed by the topic name you wish to discuss.
Note: You will be able to create a meeting in your Zoom Meeting list using the default settings you defined in your meeting settings. Also, if your meeting settings require a password, a message containing such a password will be sent to all members of the meeting.
- Join the meeting by clicking the Join button.
Once the Zoom link is open, you will be able to participate in the meeting.
Join a meeting
- Type @Zoom.
- Locate Zoom’s bot and select it.
- You will need to enter join followed by the Meeting ID of the meeting you wish to join before the join button will appear.
- Simply click on the Join Meeting link to get started.
Once the Zoom application is opened, a link will appear in your web browser.
Meeting summary and recording link
In the event that the BOT records the meeting using the cloud, a meeting summary of the meeting and the recording link will be posted upon completion.
How to uninstall the Zoom BOT
- Log into your Google Hangouts account by entering your Google email address and password.
- Then tap the + icon. Then you will be given the opportunity to chat with a robot.
- Go to the Zoom site, select ‘Message the BOT’ from the drop down list.
- When you are prompted to log out, type it.
Zoom will be deauthorized as a result of this.
How your data is used
In order for this app to access and use your Zoom account information, the following information is collected:
- Meeting details (meeting number, topic, join links, password) – These details will appear in Hangouts Chat once the meeting has been created.
- Meeting summary including participant/host names, meeting timezone, meeting duration, and meeting date – this information is displayed in the Hangouts Chat window after the meeting has concluded.
- Meeting recording info – after the meeting has been completed, this info is displayed in Hangouts Chat.
Your Zendesk account information is used and accessed by this app in order to provide you with the following services:
- Slash command info (User display name, email, avatar URL) – only used when meeting is created using Hangouts Chat