This post was most recently updated on July 29th, 2022
In your meeting settings, you have the option of enabling or disabling certain features. Numerous features are controlled by these settings, including breakout rooms, recorded chats, and recording. Admins can turn settings on and off, or lock them if they need to.
There is a section of this article that is dedicated to user-level settings. Owners and admins have access to both account and group settings at the user level, as well as account and group settings at the administrator level.
How to access and edit meeting settings
- Join the Zoom website by logging in to your account.
- Then click on the Settings tab.
- From there, you can toggle settings on or off.
- It is also possible to lock specific settings at a group or account level. Locked settings will be indicated alongside their respective settings. In some cases, an account owner or admin must change a setting that is locked at the account or group level.
There are a number of settings you can change. However, some of those settings depend on certain pre-requisites. Please review the article about the setting to determine if your account meets the prerequisites if you do not see a setting listed for your group.
There are some settings at the user level that are discussed in this article. In addition to settings at the group and account level, users with account owner or admin privileges are able to manage settings at the user level as well.
- A key part of the security policy is the requirement that all meetings require some type of security: Passcodes, Waiting Rooms, and Only authenticated users can attend meetings. Zoom automatically secures all meetings with Waiting Room when no security options are selected.
- All users with a single license, Pro users with 2 or more licenses, and Business accounts with 10 to 100 licenses must enable this setting.
- This setting can be enabled or disabled for the following accounts: Enterprise, API, Business (with more than 100 licenses), and Education.
- Waiting Room
- Meeting passcode:
- Users of client, or room systems will be able to join instant, and scheduled meetings with a passcode. When scheduling the meeting, you will be given a random passcode. To take part in the meeting, all participants must enter the passcode. It is not possible to convert these settings to fit meetings where the personal meeting ID (PMI) is used.
- The requirement for a passcode for already webinar page. Here you will see a list of scheduled meetings is not currently possible.
- Passcode for already scheduled meetings:
- Please enter the passcode you would like to be able to assign to already scheduled meetings.
- Personal Meeting ID (PMI) Passcode:
- Using the personal meeting ID (PMI), meetings with a passcode will be able to access the meeting.
- Webinar Passcode:
- Passcodes are generated randomly when setting up a webinar. In order to join, the participants must enter their passcodes.
- Require a passcode for Personal Audio Conference
- Require passcode for participants joining by phone
- Embed passcode in meeting link for one-click join
- Only authenticated users can join meetings:
- To join a meeting, participants must first authenticate.
- Meeting Authentication Options:
- You have the option to select one of the authentication methods when scheduling meetings.
- If Waiting Room is not enabled, phone dial-in only users will:
- You can choose how authentication will be applied to phone dial-in users. You may either let them in or deny them access.
- Block users in specific domains from joining meetings and webinars:
- Meetings and webinars that you host are not accessible to users from specified domains.
- Only authenticated users can join meetings from the Web client:
- In order to use the Web client to join a meeting, participants must first log in as members and then join the meeting.
- Approve or block entry to users from specific regions/countries:
- Users from a specific region should be permitted to join your meetings; or they should not be allowed to attend your meetings if they are from a specific region. An IP address determines which region or country a user is in.
- Whenever you schedule a meeting on the Zoom web portal or using the Outlook add-in, you can change the region/country you want to use.
- This will prevent unauthorized access to the meeting.
- Default encryption type:
- Whenever a meeting is scheduled, set the encryption type to the default one if E2EE is allowed.
Scheduling of Meetings
- Host video:
- Play the waiting room , the screen will change to the following screen. Please wait until the host‘s video at the beginning of meetings. In-meeting controls can still be used to enable and disable video.
- Participants video:
- Video should be enabled from the start of meetings. Video can still be enabled or disabled in-meeting using the controls.
- Define how audio can be joined.
- Telephone and Computer Audio:
- By phone, using the microphone/speaker on their computers, or using a headset, participants can join the conference.
- Only phone participation is allowed.
- Computer Audio:
- Computer microphone/speaker or headset is the only way for participants to join.
- 3rd Party Audio(only visible if you have 3rd party audio):
- If you plan to use non-Zoom audio, make sure everyone follows the instructions you provide.
- Allow participants to join before host:
- Invite, before the host joins, participants to join the conference. Disabling this feature prevents participants from joining until the host starts the meeting.
- Participants can join __ minutes before start time:
- Before the meeting starts, let participants know how much time they have to join the meeting.
- Enable Personal Meeting ID
- Use Personal Meeting ID (PMI) when scheduling a meeting
- Use Personal Meeting ID (PMI) when starting an instant meeting
- Mute participants when they join a meeting:
- The meeting will automatically be muted when a new participant joins. Whether a participant can unmute themselves depends on the host.
- Upcoming meeting reminder:
- Whenever there is an upcoming meeting, a notification will appear on the desktop. Zoom Desktop Client has the facility to change the time of the reminder.
In Meeting (Basic)
- Prevent participants from saving chat:
- This feature is disabled.
- Private chat:
- Allows participants to communicate privately with each other.
- Chats are automatically saved.
- Sound notification when someone joins or leaves:
- When participants join or leave, play a chime or a telephone recording.
- Play sound for
- For those calling in, they can hear their own voice.
- Ask to record their voice to use as a notification:
- When a participant joins via telephone, they have the option of recording their name. The host and participants will be able to listen to this telephone recording the way they want, depending on the settings above:
- Everyone option is selected and, regardless of which audio device a participant uses for audio (computer or telephone), they will hear a chime and a telephone recording.
- Host and co-hosts can be selected when the audio will be watched by both the host and co-hosts; otherwise, audio will be watched by only the host. A chime sound will be heard instead of the host if the computer is connected to a sound card.
- Transferring files
- Only allow specified file types
- Maximum file size
- Feedback to Zoom
- Display end-of-meeting experience feedback survey
- Meeting Polls
- Webinar Polls
- Webinar Survey
- Always show meeting control toolbar
- Show Zoom windows during screen share
- Screen sharing
- Who can share? – A live meeting can also be changed from only the host to all participants.
- Who can start sharing when someone else is sharing? – A live meeting can also be changed to host only or all participants.
- Allow saving of shared screens with annotations
- Only the user who is sharing can annotate
- Allow saving of whiteboard content
- Auto save whiteboard content when sharing is stopped
- Allow remote controlling user to share clipboard
- Nonverbal feedback
- Meeting reactions
- Join different meetings simultaneously on desktop
- Allow removed participants to rejoin
- Allow participants to rename themselves
- Hide participant profile pictures in a meeting
In Meeting (Advanced)
- Allow host to assign participants to breakout rooms when scheduling:
- Pre-assign participants to breakout rooms.
- Enable live transcription service to show transcript on the side panel in-meeting
- Allow use of videos for virtual backgrounds
- Video filters
- Immersive view
- Focus mode
- Identify guest participants in the meeting/webinar
- Auto-answer group in chat
- Only show default email when sending email invites:
- When using email to invite participants to a meeting, participants will be able to utilize their default email program.
- Use HTML format email for Outlook plugin
- Allow users to select stereo audio in their client settings
- Allow users to select original sound in their client settings
- Show a “Join from your browser” link
- Allow livestreaming of meetings
- Allow livestreaming of webinars
- Workplace by Facebook
- Custom Live Streaming Service
- Remind users to watch the live stream (doesn’t apply to custom RTMP)
- Show a custom disclaimer when starting or joining a meeting:
- Whether it is enabled or disabled determines whether you can view the custom disclaimer. This setting can be changed only by your administrator.
- Request permission to unmute
Settings for email notifications can be changed.
- Photo of blurry app switcher on the iOS device
- From a client’s computer, you can make a SIP/H.323 call directly to a room system
- That has a setting for sending invitations (This setting is only available to users.)
- Privileges to schedule (This setting is only available at the level of a user.)
- Integration Authentication:
- For connecting Zapier with your account, you will need a key and secret.
- Local recording
- Hosts can give meeting participants permission to record locally
- Cloud recording:
- This feature allows hosts to upload recordings of webinars and meetings to the cloud. Users can choose the options and layouts that best suit their needs.
- Allow cloud recording sharing
- Automatic recording
- IP Address Access Control:
- Control access to cloud recordings based on specific IP addresses.
- Require users to authenticate before viewing cloud recordings:
- In order to view recorded recordings shared with the Zoom web portal, only authenticated users are allowed to view those recordings. Click here for details on authentication profiles.
- Enable on-demand recording by default in the Zoom web portal.
- Make sure a passcode is required to access shared recordings on the cloud
- Viewers can see the transcript / Viewers can see the chat
- Meetings are recorded as WORM states (write once, read many) (To enable or disable this setting, you will need to be an admin.)
- After a specified period of time, the cloud recordings will be deleted.
- Hosts have the option of deleting cloud recordings after a specified period of time.
- The recordings themselves will not be deleted.
Audio Conferencing tab
- This setting is only available on the user level. i.e., when you are invited, you will be able to see international numbers on the email invitation.
- Toll Call
- Toll-free and Fee-based Toll Call
- Allow webinar attendees to dial in through the above numbers.
- Call MInvite Me byite by Phone
- Choose where most of the participants call into or call from the meeting
- Personal Audio Conference (PAC)
- 3rd Party Audio
- Mask phone number in the participant list
- Global Dial-in Countries/Regions