This post was most recently updated on July 23rd, 2022
Zoom Phone SMS lets you send and receive SMS (text messages) from your desktop or mobile device. SMS can also be used along with an auto-receptionist or call queue.
Prerequisites for using SMS
- Your administrator has enabled SMS to be sent to your mobile phone
- In case you are using the Zoom Phone service
- Only extension phone users can send SMS
- Any domestic US or Canadian phone number can be used as a gateway for sending and receiving SMS messages when using Zoom Phone Metered, Unlimited, or Pro Plans
- As a gateway for sending and receiving SMS messages when using Zoom Phone Metered, Unlimited, or Pro Plans
- To send and receive SMS messages with Zoom Phone Metered, Unlimited, or Pro Plans
- SMS with other calling plans may incur charges
- With a US or Canadian direct number
- You can only send SMS from US and Canadian numbers
- If your admin has enabled international SMS for sending SMS to foreign phone numbers
Note: International SMS does not support sending images.
- If you are using Zoom 5.0.47 or above, you can send images.
Note: If you are using Zoom 5.0.47 or above, you can send images.
- Zoom 5.0.47 or higher supports sending images.
- Desk phones do not support SMS.
How to compose a new SMS message
The first time you send a text message (SMS) or group SMS (text) to an emergency number in the United States or Canada, you will receive an error message that says that texting emergency numbers is not available and that you should instead call the numbers. Unless you cancel the call, you can make those emergency calls yourself after the 10 second countdown period.
- Open the Zoom desktop client on your computer or the Zoom app on your smartphone and sign in.
- Go to the Phone tab by clicking or tapping it.
- Select the SMS tab by clicking or tapping it.
- Select the compose icon under the SMS tab by clicking or tapping it.
- To find the name or phone number you desire, enter it in the To field at the top of the page. You can then use the search function to find it through your contacts or manually enter it manually. A maximum of 10 contacts can be added.
The recipient’s name will be replaced by the number if the recipient is in your contacts directory, otherwise the number will remain a phone number.
- Choose a number to send SMS to from the contact‘s phone numbers by clicking the right arrow icon.
- Type a message.
- The message will be sent.
- Desktop client: Upon pressing Enter, the message will be sent.
- Mobile app: Click the send icon and the message will be sent.
How to reply to an existing SMS conversation
- Open the Zoom Client on your desktop or on your mobile device and sign in.
- From the tab, select the Phone option.
- Select the SMS tab at the top of the screen.
- Select a conversation by clicking or tapping it.
- Messages can be entered there.
- Click the send button.
- Desktop client: Press Enter to send the message.
- Mobile app: To send a message, simply tap the send icon.
How to use SMS features
As you compose a new SMS or reply to a previously started conversation, you can use many useful features:
Send images (JPG, PNG, and GIF files)
A single image can only be sent at a time. In order to send images (also known as MMS) to a mobile number in another country, this option is not supported.
- Desktop client:
- To select an image, click on the File button.
- If you wish, you can add a message in the “Message” field.
- To send the image, press the Enter key.
Zoom Phone will display the image and text you entered in a single chat bubble if you also entered a message. According to each SMS service provider, the other SMS participant could see a different chat bubble when they send or receive SMS.
- Mobile app:
- Simply tap on the plus icon.
- After that, select the photo you want to send from the Photo Album.
- Then tap the Done button.
- You can also enter a message to accompany the photo.
- When you are ready, you can click on the send icon.
Whenever you enter a message along with a picture, you can see them together in Zoom Phone as a single chat bubble. Depending on the SMS service used by the SMS participant, it may possible for the other SMS participant to see a separate chat bubble.
Call the other SMS participant
On the top right, there is a phone button that can be clicked or tapped.
View phone numbers involved in the SMS conversation
In the upper right-hand corner, you will see an info button: Click or tap on it to learn more.
Find out how to send an SMS message and how to have a conversation.