We strive to make video communications frictionless, secure, and empowering, so that people are given the opportunity to achieve more. The upcoming release of Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad, version 5.10, is part of our commitment to quality and security, as a result of which we will remove support for Apple iOS 8.x and 9.x from this version.
The Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad version 5.10 and subsequent versions will not work on Apple devices running Apple iOS 8.x and 9.x and will not be able to be upgraded to or installed on them. The Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad 5.10 and subsequent versions will not be available for iPads running iOS 9.x or earlier, and Apple App Store policies will prevent them from upgrading to, or installing the Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad 5.10 or later.
There are several iPad models that are no longer supported by Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad, especially the ones listed below, which are not able to upgrade past iOS 9.3.6 in this case:
|Model||Introduction Date||Hardware Models||Apple Support Status|
|iPad Mini (Gen 1)||2012||A1432
|iPad (Gen 3)||2012||A1403
It is important to note that Apple no longer provides support for any of the models from those categories that Apple considers “vintage” or “obsolete” (see How to obtain service after your Apple warranty has expired).
There are several topics covered in this article, including:
- Background information
- Zoom Rooms Controller 5.10 Release Timeline
- How can I check the iOS version of my deployed iPad(s)?
- How can I check if I have an iPad that cannot upgrade beyond iOS 9.3.6?
- What does this mean for iPads that cannot upgrade past iOS 9.3.6?
- Can I continue to use Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad version 5.9.3 on my iPad?
- What steps should I take to prepare for this change?
- Recommended migration options
There have been historical support by Zoom for the use of Zoom’s iPad Room Controller on iOS versions 8.x and greater as a part of the Zoom product line. We are ending our support for iPad 8 and iOS 9 due to the lack of ongoing operating system and security updates from Apple (last updated in August 2015 and July 2019 respectively), but in an effort to support new application features made possible by newer iOS releases and when dealing with security concerns, we are terminating our support for these operating systems. As the aforementioned iPad models cannot upgrade to iOS versions newer than 9.3.6, they will not be supported in the future version of Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad, which is version 5.10. Therefore, they will not be supported in the future versions of Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad, especially the iPad 8.4 and iPad 9.3.
Zoom Rooms Controller version 5.10 Release Timeline
Zoom Rooms Controller version 5.10 will be released on the iPad in early April, 2022, as part of Zoom Rooms Controller version 5.10. In addition to this, Zoom Rooms Controller version 5.10 will also be available through the Apple App Store. Zoom Rooms Controller 5.10 will be able to be updated on iPad models that can run newer versions of iOS 10.x or greater; Zoom recommends that you run the most recent iOS and the most recent version of Zoom Rooms Controller on your device to be able to upgrade.
How can I check the iOS version of my deployed iPad(s)?
The following steps will guide you through the process of verifying the current iOS version on Zoom’s admin portal:
- Log into the Zoom web portal by entering your username and password.
- You will then be able to see the Device List by clicking Device Management.
- Make sure that the top left filter is set to iOS instead of All Platform OS.
- Take a look at the devices you have assigned a Zoom Room to, including the Device Name and Zoom Room Assignment.
- You can export a list of your devices to a .CSV file if you wish to process them in a different way (optional).
How can I check if I have an iPad that cannot upgrade beyond iOS 9.3.6?
The Apple support website offers a guide to identifying your iPad model, which allows you to compare the hardware model with the list of hardware models on Apple’s support website.
What does this mean for iPads that cannot upgrade past iOS 9.3.6?
Currently, Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad version 5.10 will not be able to be installed on these iPad models. In the meantime, Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad version 5.9.3 can continue to be used on the devices. It is important to note, however, that if something occurs that causes you to uninstall Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad version 5.9.3 from the Apple AppStore, you will not be able to download Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad version 5.9.3 from the Apple AppStore to install it again.
Can I continue to use Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad version 5.9.3 on my iPad?
There will be no longer be support for iOS 8.9 and 9 for Zoom Rooms iPad Controller version 5.9.3, which is the last version that offers support for iOS 8 and 9, on October 9th, 2022. In addition, Zoom Rooms iPad Controller versions 5.9.3 and earlier will cease to work on iPads running iOS 8 and iOS 9 from the date of this announcement. A notification message will appear on the iPad, instructing the administrator that the iPad’s iOS should be upgraded as quickly as possible or that it should be upgraded to an alternative hardware platform.
What steps should I take to prepare for this change?
For Zoom to determine the device models that are in your deployment, it is recommended that you examine iPads that have been deployed as Zoom Room Controllers, Zoom Scheduling Displays, or Zoom Rooms for Touch in your Zoom account. Based on the capabilities of the device, Zoom then recommends the following course of action for the user:
- If your device is capable of upgrading to iOS greater than 9.x, it is a good idea for you to upgrade it to the latest supported version of iOS, so you may be able to use Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad 5.10 and future updates with it.
- Please consider replacing any Zoom Room Controller or Scheduling Display devices which are unable to update past iOS 9.3.6 by a new Zoom Room Controller or Scheduling Display device that supports Zoom Room Controller for iPad 5.10. Please see the recommended migration options below for more details.
- Zoom Rooms Controller for iPad 5.9.3 can continue to be used prior to the replacement, as outlined above.
- Any device that has been deemed “obsolete” by Apple or “vintage” by the company should in near future be considered for replacement if they have become increasingly obsolete or outdated. Below you will find a list of migration options that are recommended.
Recommended migration options
- The Zoom Rooms Recommended Hardware Controllers list contains a list of recommended hardware controllers that you can deploy. Regardless of the Zoom Room (Windows, Mac, or Appliance), these controllers will work with any Zoom Room.
- Through Zoom Rooms Hardware as a Service program, you are able to rent a new controller for an affordable monthly fee.