Screen mirroring on Apple devices, also known as AirPlay or AirPlay on iOS 11 or earlier, is an easy and convenient way for users of MacOS and iOS devices to share content from their devices to Zoom Rooms. There are two modes of communication between a Zoom client on MacOS/iOS and a Zoom Room, and these are achieved through the AirPlay bonjour protocol. The Zoom Room can also be shared from your laptop or mobile device via direct sharing, the share.zoom.us website, or wired HDMI video capture if you have a Zoom Web cam.
In this article, we will cover the following topics:
- How to enable Apple screen mirroring (AirPlay)
- How to use Apple screen mirroring (AirPlay)
- How to display Apple screen mirroring (AirPlay) instructions
- During a presentation (when a meeting is not in session)
- During a meeting
Prerequisites for sharing a screen using Airplay
- Your network has been configured to support Apple’s screen mirroring protocol
- Version 5.0.5 or higher of Zoom Rooms is required
- An administrator role with the ability to edit Zoom Rooms
- In order to make the most of your conference room, use Zoom Rooms
- Windows: version 5.0.5 or higher
- macOS: version 5.0.5 or higher
- Zoom Rooms Controller
- Android: version 5.0.5 or higher
- iOS: version 5.0.5 or higher
- Windows: version 5.0.5 or higher
How to enable Apple screen mirroring (AirPlay)
- Log in to the Zoom web portal by entering your username and password.
- Then, click Zoom Rooms in the Room Management section.
- This setting can be enabled for a specific location or room by using the location hierarchy. It can be enabled for the entire account by clicking the Account Settings link.
- You will find the Meeting tab under the Meetings tab.
- The Apple Screen Mirroring option can be enabled by clicking the toggle button next to it.
- In the event that a verification dialog appears, select Enable to confirm the change has been made.
- You can enable the Apple Screen Mirroring service manually by clicking on the box next to Starting Apple Screen Mirroring service manually.
How to use Apple screen mirroring (AirPlay)
- On the Apple menu, in the top-right corner, you will find an icon called screen mirroring that you should click on.
- The screen share can be initiated by clicking on the name of the Zoom Room.
The sharing password will need to be entered in a prompt that appears.
- On the Zoom Room’s screen, you will see a passcode that you need to enter.
- It is possible to exit sharing by clicking the Disconnect Airplay button.
- You can bring up the control center by swiping up from the bottom of your screen.
- You will need to tap on Screen Mirroring in order to do this.
- Click on the Zoom Room name that you would like to join.
- On the Zoom Room screen, you will see a passcode that needs to be entered. By doing this, you will be able to share the display of your iOS device with Zoom Room’s TV.
How to display Apple screen mirroring (AirPlay) instructions
It is possible to display instructions on the display in the room to assist room participants in using Apple screen mirroring.
During a presentation (when a meeting is not in session)
- When you are using Zoom Rooms as a control panel, tap Presentation.
- If you have an iPhone, iPad, or Mac, tap Share.
During a meeting
- Meetings can be started or joined at any time.
- On the Zoom Rooms controller, select Share Content from the Content menu.
- You can share your iPhone, iPad, or Mac by tapping the Share button.