This post was most recently updated on July 22nd, 2022
Zoom’s instant video meeting feature is easy to use after you create an account and install the app. In an instant meeting, participants can join the meeting right away without having to schedule or invite them in advance. You can invite other participants at any time to an instant meeting. You must invite people to a meeting using the meeting control bar on your screen.
- Zoom desktop client
- Windows: 5.0.0 or higher
- macOS: 5.0.0 or higher
- Linux: 5.0.0 or higher
- Zoom mobile app
- Android: 5.0.0 or higher
- iOS: 5.0.0 or higher
Hosting an instant meeting through the Zoom Desktop Client
Windows | macOS | Linux
Access the Zoom homepage and select Host a Meeting from the menu to start the installation of the Zoom Desktop Client.
On the Zoom Desktop Client, click the Home tab to start an instant meeting:
- Log into the Zoom desktop client.
- Select the Home tab.
- Choose an instant meeting option by clicking the down arrow:
- Begin with video: This starts your instant meeting with your video-enabled device.
- Use My Personal Meeting ID: PMIs allows you to access your own virtual meeting room, which is reserved exclusively for you.
- Simply click on New Meeting to begin the meeting.
When a contact or channel is in a chat room, you can start an instant meeting by clicking the following button:
- Access Zoom’s desktop client by signing in.
- Select the Chat tab.
- Choose an option to start a conversation.
- (Optional) Click the down arrow next to the video camera button to select the Meet with video option.
- To start an instant meeting, click the video camera button.
Using Zoom’s mobile app to host an instant meeting
Android | iOS
Meet & Chat tab
From the Meet & Chat tab of the Zoom mobile app, start an instant meeting:
- Zoom’s mobile app requires a Zoom username and password.
- Click the New Meeting icon under Meet & Chat.
- Make sure Video On is selected.
- (Optional) If you want to use your personal meeting room, toggle Use Personal Meeting ID (PMI).
- To begin the meeting, tap Start.
- Zoom will ask for permission to access the camera and microphone when you start a meeting for the first time from this device. Tap OK to allow access.