It is possible to have all participants automatically muted if they join a meeting as an account owner or an admin. When a meeting is joined as a member of an admin or owner, their audio will be disabled immediately. Participants can choose to become muted or unmuted during the meeting with the help of the host. As a result of this meeting setting, participants can participate more efficiently and there will be fewer interruptions and distractions during the meeting.
There are a few prerequisites that need to be met in order for people to be muted automatically when they join a meeting
- Ownership or admin privileges on the account
When you join a meeting, you can decide if you want all participants muted or not
Mute all participants for all users when they join a meeting can be enabled or disabled by using the following steps:
- Join the Zoom web portal as an administrator so you will have the ability to make changes to your account settings.
- Click Account Management then click Account Settings in the navigation menu.
- Select the Meeting tab on the left side of the page.
- Activating or disabling mute all participants when they join the meeting is done by clicking the Mute all participants when they join the meeting toggle.
- To verify that the change has been made, click Enable or Disable in case a verification dialog appears.
- For your account, click the lock icon in order to make this setting mandatory for all users in your account. You can then confirm this setting by clicking Lock, once you have done this.
When the user in a group of users joins a meeting, they can Mute all the participants by enabling or disabling the following:
- Ensure that you have been assigned an admin account with the ability to edit groups on the Zoom web portal.
- Click User Management, then click Group Management on the navigation menu.
- On the list of groups, click on the name of the appropriate group.
- Click on the Meeting tab.
- You can enable or disable this option by clicking on the Mute all participants when they join the meeting toggle under Schedule Meeting.
- If a verification dialog appears, you will need to click either Enable or Disable to confirm that the change has been made.
The grayed out options are a result of the account level blocking it, so you will need to change it from there if it is being blocked by the account level.
- Alternatively, you may want to opt to enforce this setting for all members of a group, simply click the lock icon and then click Lock to confirm the change.
When joining a meeting, you may choose whether to Mute all participants to ensure that they do not disturb others:
- Sign into the Zoom web portal by entering your email address and password.
- Then, click Settings from the navigation menu.
- Select Meetings from the list of options.
- The Mute all participants when they join a meeting toggle can be found under Schedule Meeting. The toggle can be turned on or off by clicking on it.
- To verify the changes made, click Enable or Disable if a verification dialog appears.
- When an option is grayed out it means it has been locked at either the group level or the account level, depending on what level it is. The Zoom admin will need to be contacted in this case.