This post was most recently updated on July 28th, 2022
A dialog box will appear when a new participant joins the meeting if you enable the Ask permission to unmute participants option. In the dialogue box that appears, the host will ask for permission in order to allow them to be muted or unmuted. In order to unmute attendees in a meeting, hosts and co-hosts will need pre-agreed consent from those present. There is an option to unmute each individual participant from the participants list if they consent to be unmuted, and you can choose that option for each participant individually. This setting is helpful in managing the number of participants in a meeting.
- The consent given to a host will apply to any future meetings that the host has with this setting enabled and will be able to view that consent. Meetings without this setting will require the host to ask each participant to unmute himself/herself before the meeting can continue.
- Unless the participant provides consent, you will see the standard options of Ask to Unmute / Mute in the participants list, even if the participant does not provide consent.
The prerequisites for unmuting participants are as follows:
- Privileges of a host or co-host
- on Zoom’s desktop client
- for Windows: Zoom 5.2.1 or higher
- on macOS: Zoom 5.2.1 or higher
- on Linux: Zoom 5.2.1 or higher
- Using Zoom’s mobile app
- on Android: Zoom 5.2.1 or higher
- iOS: 5.2.1 or higher
The following steps explain how to enable or disable Request permission to unmute participants in the discussion
The following steps can be taken to enable or disable muting for all users in the account: Request permission to unmute participants:
- It is possible to edit the settings of your Zoom account as long as you are an administrator who has access to the Zoom web portal.
- Click Account Management and then click Account Settings from the navigation menu.
- Click Meetings from the list of tabs.
- Click the toggle next to Request permission to unmute (Advanced), under In Meeting (Advanced), in order to enable or disable it.
- You can verify the change by clicking Enable or Disable on the confirmation dialog box that appears.
- Click the lock icon to make this setting mandatory for all users of your account. Once you have done that, click Lock to confirm the setting for all users.
The following steps should be taken to enable or disable unmute functionality for groups of users:
- You need to be logged into the Zoom web portal as an administrator with the right to edit groups.
- Click on User Management, then click on Group Management in the navigation panel.
- In the list of groups, select the one that pertains to you.
- Next, click on the Meetings tab.
- To enable or disable the request for permission to unmute participants, you can click the toggle under the Meeting (Advanced) tab.
- If a confirmation dialog box appears, click the Enable or Disable button to verify the change has been made.
- When a feature is grayed out on the account level, it has been locked at that level and will have to be changed there as well.
- For an optional setting, click the lock icon , and then click Lock to confirm the setting. If you prefer the setting to be mandatory for all users in the group, simply click the lock icon .
It is possible to enable or disable the ability to unmute participants for your own use by requesting permission from them:
- Sign into the Zoom web portal by entering your user name and password.
- Next, click Settings in the navigation panel.
- Next, click the Meetings tab.
- In the advanced section of the In Meeting (Advanced) window, click on the toggle button to enable or disable Request permission to unmute participants.
- Click on the toggle to enable the setting if it is disabled. You may be asked to verify this change by clicking the Turn On button in the confirmation dialog box.
- If you are seeing a grayed-out option, it has either been locked at the account or at the group level. In this case, you should contact the Zoom administrator.
The procedure for enabling Request permission to unmute participants during scheduled meetings is as follows:
To enable the Unmute Participants option for existing meetings that have already been scheduled:
- Make an appointment to meet.
- Go to the Zoom website and sign in.
- Click the Meeting tab on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Choose the Upcoming tab from the drop-down list.
- You can edit a meeting by searching for it by name in the list of meetings, then clicking Edit by the meeting name.
- Click the check box next to Meeting Options to select the option to request permission for participants to be unmuted.
- Then click Save.