This post was most recently updated on July 28th, 2022
There are two types of companion whiteboards: classic whiteboards that can be deployed to an existing Zoom Room and be used as a dedicated whiteboard, enabling in-room participants and remote participants to interact and collaborate on documents. Companion whiteboards do not require additional audio or video peripherals; they only need a touch screen display that supports Windows to function.
Depending on the size of the conference room, one to two screens could be used to display the Zoom Room controller and the video of the participants in the conference room. A classic companion whiteboard can be added to your app which can be used for annotations and screen sharing only.
In this article, we will discuss the following topics:
- How to set up a classic companion whiteboard
- How to use the classic whiteboard controls
- How to share the classic companion whiteboard in a meeting
- How to remove a classic companion whiteboard
Classic companion whiteboard prerequisites
- A touchscreen and touch drivers installer must be installed on a computer running Windows 8.1 or higher
- If you’re looking for an all-in-one touchscreen display with Windows, please take a look at the Zoom Rooms hardware recommended for Zoom Rooms.
- In order to use Zoom Rooms for Conference Rooms for Windows, you will need at least the latest version 4.6.0 (1093.1215).
Zoom Rooms system prerequisites
- In order to use Zoom Rooms for Conference Rooms with Windows, you must have version 4.6.0 (1193.1215) or later
- In order to use Zoom Rooms for Conference Rooms on the Mac, you must have the version 4.6.0 (1696.1216) or higher
How to set up a classic companion whiteboard
It is important to make sure that your system supports classic companion whiteboards before you attempt to set up a classic companion whiteboard.
You can add a classic companion whiteboard to your Zoom Room display after you have set up the display:
- The companion whiteboard device must be logged into Zoom Rooms for Touch in order to work.
- To add the classic companion whiteboard to the Zoom Room, select the Zoom Room you would like to add it to, then click Next.
Note: Please ensure that you choose a room where a Zoom Rooms display has been set up.
- The Companion Whiteboard can be accessed by tapping it.
With Zoom Rooms, the device will be connected to the selected room and the whiteboard will be displayed on the screen. In the event that the classic companion whiteboard is not being used, the following screensaver will appear in its place.
How to use the classic whiteboard controls
There are all the regular classic whiteboard controls on the classic companion whiteboard as well. Additionally, companion whiteboards offer you a number of options that are more specific to them:
- CLOSE: The following options will be displayed.
- Clear and Sleep: The whiteboard drawings will be deleted, and the screensaver will be displayed in their place.
- Back to Whiteboard: I would like to return to the whiteboard.
- You can display these options by clicking the ellipsis icon.
- About: The version number will be displayed on the screen.
- Reboot: Reboot the companion device that is connected to the whiteboard. The room passcode may be required to be entered when you check in.
- Exit Zoom Rooms: Ensure that Zoom Rooms is closed by closing the application. The room passcode may need to be entered if you are prompted to do so.
- Sign Out: The current Zoom account must be logged out in order to sign out. Using this method is helpful if you no longer wish to use the device as a companion whiteboard; or if you wish to set up the companion whiteboard using a different Zoom account from the one you are currently using.
- START SHARE / STOP SHARE (only visible when in a meeting): It is possible to share the whiteboard in the Zoom meeting by starting or stopping it.
- When a meeting participant starts screen sharing, the following switches will appear in the presentation: SWITCH TO CONTENT / SWITCH TO WHITEBOARD: It is suggested to display either the whiteboard or the shared screen of a participant.
How to share the classic companion whiteboard in a meeting
If you are in a meeting at the same time you have the classic companion whiteboard active, you can click on START SHARE in the lower-right corner to get started sharing the whiteboard with the others in the meeting.
Whenever you draw on the whiteboard before you start or join a meeting, you will not be able to share that whiteboard with other participants. For sharing the whiteboard with others, click on the START SHARE button in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
How to remove a classic companion whiteboard
Here are the steps that you can follow if you do not wish to use your device as a classic companion whiteboard anymore.
- In the whiteboard controls, you have the option of tapping the ellipses icon.
- Once you have tapped Sign Out, you will be asked to sign out.
- If you selected the option to configure the device as a Zoom Rooms display, you will need to sign back in to Zoom Rooms.