This post was most recently updated on July 29th, 2022
When you are participating in or hosting a meeting using Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Apple Safari, a dialog box will appear inviting you to launch the Zoom program.
Safari does not yet have the option of always opening links with Zoom. This feature is currently only available in Chrome and Mozilla Firefox.
- Click on the Chrome icon to open the browser.
- Click on the link join.zoom.us.
- Provide the meeting ID provided by the host/organizer of the meeting.
- Click on “Join”.
- To open Zoom Meetings (PC) or Zoom.us (Mac), select the Open Zoom Meetings or Open zoom.us button. When you are launching Zoom from a web browser, you are required to click this option every time you do so.
- Click on the Firefox icon on your desktop.
- Click on the join.zoom.us link.
- You will need to enter the meeting ID that was provided to you by the meeting host.
- Click the Join button.
- In some cases, you will be asked to open Zoom or the Zoom installer package if this is your first time connecting from Firefox.
- By checking Remember my choice for ZoomMtg links, you will be able to skip this step in the future.
- Click the Open Link button.
- Open Safari on your computer.
- Then, go to the website, join.zoom.us.
- Please enter the meeting ID provided by the host/organizer
- Join the meeting.
- Please allow zoom.us if you are asked if you wish to open it.
Issues with the Zoom Launcher plug-in
It may happen that the plugins are not activated or disabled, or they may be installed or run correctly, but are either not activated or disabled, or they may not be installed or run correctly. If it is preventing you from connecting to Zoom, you can check if the Zoom launcher plugin has been disabled (and re-enable it if it has been)
Most plug-ins are no longer supported by Safari. In order for Zoom to work, the user will have to open it by selecting it from the menu.
- In Internet Explorer, there is no Zoom plugin available.
- A zoom_launcher.exe file will be launched automatically.
Here are some steps that you can take to correct this if it is still downloading every time after it has been enabled:
- If any Firefox/Chrome (shadow) processes are running, kill each of them through task management
- management, restart Firefox/Chrome, and then uninstall the zoom launcher from Firefox/Chrome
It should reload the plugin when you click on host a meeting from the browser (zoom.us)