For webinars, it is possible to create polling questions that can be answered with a single-choice answer or a multiple-choice answer. The poll can be launched during your webinar so that you can gather the responses from your attendees while the webinar is taking place. It is also possible for you to download a report of the polling done during and after the webinar in the form of a report. The results of polls can also be collected anonymously, if you do not wish to collect any information about the attendees with the results of the poll.
In addition to the host and co-hosts, the host and co-hosts can launch polls within the event. However, only the host and co-hosts may create new polls within the event. Neither hosts nor co-hosts are able to vote themselves in polls, and neither can they interact with participants. It is possible for them to choose at the time of launching the poll whether or not panelists can participate in the poll.
Polling reports, which are available after each webinar by default, but can also be made available during the live session, provide full details of the results of the poll, including each participant’s answers as well as the time when they submitted them, which is included in the poll reports.
There are also advanced polls and quizzes that can be created and launched.
As part of a meeting, it is also possible to set up standard or advanced polls.
Prerequisites for polling for webinars
- This add-on is for Zoom Webinars
- Webinar polling is enabled for the webinar
- A desktop client for Zoom is available for download
- It is recommended that you use Windows version 5.1.2 or higher
- It is recommended that you use macOS version 5.1.2 or higher
- It is recommended that Linux users upgrade to version 5.1.422789.0705 or higher
- Zoom mobile app is available for both Android and iOS devices
- The Android operating system must be version 5.5.0 or higher
- You must have a version of iOS that is at least 5.5.0
- A web-based version of Zoom is also available
Limitations of webinar polling
- The original webinar host is the only one who has the ability to edit or add polls during a webinar, by default. The user who has been assigned as the host or co-host will only be able to launch polls that have already been created if that role is transferred to another user. The web portal has a setting that allows alternative hosts to add or edit polls, in case that setting is enabled in the portal and the host selects the option to allow them to do so when scheduling the webinar.
- The maximum number of polls that can be created for a webinar is 50, with each poll being able to contain a maximum of 10 questions at a time.
- Polls that are relaunched in a webinar will only appear in the poll report if the poll was relaunched in the webinar. It is a good idea to create a second poll with the same questions as the original poll, if you know that you will need to launch the same poll twice and you would like both sets of results, so that you do not have to repeat the process.
How to add poll questions for a webinar
It is possible to create polling questions in advance of the webinar, or it can be done during the live session of the webinar. While you are taking part in a live webinar, a poll can be created or edited, and you will be taken to the web portal for further instructions.
- Log in to the Zoom web portal by entering your email address and password.
- Click on Webinars from the navigation menu at the top of the screen.
- The topic of your upcoming webinar will appear when you click on it. You can schedule a webinar right now if you do not have one scheduled yet.
- The Polls tab can be found at the bottom of the page if you scroll down.
- You can begin the process of creating a poll by clicking the + Create button. There are two options that you will have when advanced polling and quizzes are enabled. The option you select will be Poll.
- This set of polls can be renamed by clicking the Untitled Poll button at the bottom of the window.
- It is possible to edit the following details by clicking on the question area:
- You can edit the title of the polling question by clicking the Untitled Question area next to it.
- You will find a drop down menu to the right of the polling question name where you can select the type of question that you are looking for:
- Single Choice: The participants of the poll will only be able to select one of the answers that are provided.
- Multiple Choice: Participants in the poll will have the option of selecting more than one answer from the choices provided.
- Whenever a blank appears for each choice, you can enter an answer for the participants to choose from by clicking on the blank.
- Adding additional answer options can be done by clicking the + Add Choice button.
- The current polling question can be deleted by clicking on the Delete button.
- The current polling question should be duplicated as it is right now.
- It is possible to add an additional question by clicking on Add a Question (optional).
- The following option can be accessed by clicking the button:
- Allow participants to answer questions anonymously: It is up to individual participants of the poll to decide if they would like their answers linked back to them or if they would like their answers to be anonymous.
- Please click on the Save button to save the changes.
There will be one poll that will be used during the webinar to ask all questions under one heading. Additional polls can be created during the webinar to allow participants to ask questions at different times during the session.
How to use the Polls/Quizzes library
It is possible to manage a central library of polls for webinars if that option is enabled by an administrator. In your webinars, you can create or edit polls that you can use to engage your audience. Whenever a poll is marked as available for all webinars, it will be displayed in a list of polls that can be launched in a webinar when it is marked as available for all webinars.
Access the Polls/Quizzes tab
- Log into the Zoom web portal by entering your email address and password.
- Click on Webinars in the navigation menu at the top of the page.
- Go to the Polls/Quizzes tab and click on it.
Create a poll in the Polls/Quizzes tab
In order to enable your saved polls across all your webinars, you will need to create a first saved poll.
- Go to the Polls/Quizzes tab on the left side of the page.
- Click on the Polls tab.
Note: There will be two options displayed on the screen if the advanced polling and quizzing feature is enabled: Poll and Advanced Polling and Quizing.
- You can create a poll by clicking on the button below.
The poll you create will appear in the Polls/Quizzes tab once it has been created.
- You can also click on the toggle under Enable to enable or disable the polls you have created for all the webinars you participate in (optional).
- You can create as many polls as you like by clicking the + Create button (optional).
The name, the type of poll (Polls, Quiz, Advanced Poll), the number of questions (number of questions) and whether the poll is enabled will appear beneath each multiple poll.
Use actions for individual polls
It is possible to select actions for your poll after you create it in the Polls/Quizzes tab by clicking on:
- It is possible to edit a poll by clicking the pencil icon to the right of the poll.
- The ellipses can be found to the right of a poll.
- There are a variety of actions that you can choose from:
- Duplicate: There will be a duplicate poll created.
- Delete: There will be a deletion of the poll.
Use batch actions for multiple polls
There are several actions that you can choose from after you have created multiple polls in the Polls/Quizzes tab, including:
- Please select the checkbox next to the name of the person.
There will be a check mark next to every poll’s check box.
It is possible to pick just the poll check boxes that you want to select if you do not want to select all polls.
- The following batch actions can be selected for the multiple polls selected in the previous step:
- Disable for My Webinars: For all your webinars under Enable, you will be able to toggle on the toggles for the selected polls, but they won’t be available at any time.
- Enable for My Webinars: If you enable the toggles under Enable, you will be able to access the polls for all the webinars that you have selected.
- Duplicate: You will be able to duplicate the polls that you have selected.
- Delete: You will be able to delete the polls you have selected.
Filter the Polls/Quizzes tab
It is possible to display different filters by selecting the All Types dropdown menu. You can filter your polls/quizzes based on Polls, Advanced Polls, or Quizzes so that you can see what you need to see.
How to launch a poll in a webinar
- In order to participate in a polling session, you need to start the scheduled webinar.
- The Polls button can be found in the webinar controls.
- Choose the poll you would like to launch from the list at the top of the polling window (if more than one poll has been created).
- (Optional) You can allow the panelists to vote by clicking the Allow panelists to vote button.
- You can launch the application by clicking the Launch button.
- It will now be the responsibility of the attendees of the webinar (as well as potentially the panelists) to answer the polling questions that will be presented to them. It will be possible for the host to see the results live as they are being calculated.
- You can stop the poll by clicking the End Poll button once you have decided you would like to do so.
- The following options can be accessed by clicking the button:
- Re-launch Poll: Relaunches the poll in a new window.
- Note: It should be noted that if a poll is relaunched in a webinar, only the last occurrence of the poll will be displayed in the poll report. It is recommended that you create a second poll with the same questions as the original poll if you are going to have to run the same poll twice and want both sets of data. This will save you from having to do it again.
- Download results: You will now be able to view the entire poll report, which you can download by clicking on this link, which allows you to see what each participant chose instead of the percentages of the choices they made.
- Note: It is necessary to contact Zoom Support in order to have this feature enabled on your account.
- View Results from Browser: You are now going to be able to see the same polling results in your default online web browser once the application launches.
- The results of the webinar will be shared with the attendees of the webinar once you click Share Results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Zoom have a polling app?
Why is poll not showing on Zoom?
Is Zoom polling available in free version?
How do you make a poll on Zoom app?
- When polling is enabled in a Zoom meeting, the meeting should be started.
- During the meeting controls, you will see an option that says Polls/Quizzes. Click on this button to start the poll or quiz.
- The top of the polling window will display a list of all your polls and quizzes. If you created a number of polls and quizzes, you can choose which one you would like to launch from this list.
- Launch the application by clicking on the Launch button.