This post was most recently updated on July 23rd, 2022
Getting started with Zoom Rooms
There is a software-based room systems available that make audio and video conferencing easy, as well as wireless screen sharing. Zoom Rooms you can get a more integrated experience for audio and video conferencing. Rooms on Zoom can be used for participants that are only in the room, or for remote participants that join from another room, the desktop, or their mobile device.
In order to join a Zoom Room, at least a macOS or Windows computer running the Zoom Rooms software, along with an iPad, Android tablet, or Windows 10 tablet running the Zoom Rooms app, is necessary. The Zoom Rooms Scheduling Display for iPad can run on an iPad that has a TV display, speakers, cameras, and microphones, as well as an iPad equipped with the Zoom Rooms Scheduling Display. With Zoom Device Management, devices can be enrolled to be managed remotely via the Zoom web portal by Zoom Device Management.
Prerequisites for setting up Zoom Rooms
- Licence to use Zoom Room
- Zoom Rooms on the web portal Licence to use Zoom Rooms on the web portal Role that has access to Zoom Rooms
The licenses required for deploying a full Zoom Room must be included in your account, or you must sign up for a free 30-day trial of Zoom Rooms. If you are looking for licenses for Zoom Rooms, please contact Zoom Rooms Sales or visit Zoom Rooms.
In order to test the capability of Zoom Rooms, you can deploy a test set up that will allow you to start a test meeting or join a test meeting without having to purchase a Zoom Rooms license, which will provide you with limited functionality.
How to prepare for your Zoom Room setup
- The table layout that best suits your needs will determine the layout of your room:
- Take a look at samples provided by Innovant, Haworth, Paul Downs, Salamander, and UrbenTech
- UrbenTech, and consider if Zoom Device Management would be a good fit for your organization.
- Purchase hardware that satisfies the system requirements for Zoom Device Management.
- In addition to preparing your network and configuring your firewall:
- If the wireless subnet cannot connect to the wired subnet, then the iPad’s ethernet adapter needs to be used.
- Make sure that your desktop firewall is configured to support Airplay.
- On the Zoom Rooms portal, you can manage Zoom Rooms by adding or identifying users who can manage Zoom Rooms. You must grant them the Zoom Rooms privilege in order for them to do so.
- Create a Zoom Room from the Zoom Room Controller or via the Zoom Rooms Web Portal. The Zoom Room setup you have set up can also be remotely tested via the Zoom Room web-based controller.
- You can integrate your Google or Microsoft calendar system into Zoom Rooms by following these steps:
- Calendars from Google, Office 365, Exchange 2016/13, Exchange 2010 and Exchange 2007 can be accessed with these tools.
- Using the Room Account page, prepare a secure folder with the login information of each room account.
- Asses the capacity of the room, its furniture, its electrical power, its network, and its conduit.
How to set up Zoom Rooms
Set up your hardware in the conference room
- You will need to mount the TV, the camera, and the computer.
- Make sure the cable TV, camera, audio components, and network are connected correctly.
- Make sure the PC/Mac is turned on and connected to the internet.
- If necessary, update the firmware for the TV, the camera, and the audio components.
Set up your operating system (OS)
- Ensure that your Mac or Windows is configured for kiosk mode.
- Make sure that your controller is configured for kiosk mode.
Set up your Zoom Rooms software
- Install Zoom Rooms for Conference Rooms on your Mac or Windows computer when you download the software.
- The Zoom Rooms controllers are available for iOS, Android, or Windows controllers. As soon as you download them, install them on your iOS Controller and Scheduling Display.
- You can use the Pairing Code for quick setup on macOS, and the Activation Code for a complete setup on Zoom Rooms for macOS. In order to complete the setup on Zoom Rooms for Windows, you will need to sign in.
- Then choose the default camera setting, microphone setting, speaker setting, and volume setting.
- In the dashboard you can set alerts and monitor them.
How to use the Zoom Rooms controller
In order to use the controller user interface, you must use the buttons on the left-side panel after setting up the controller. It is possible that not all features of a controller are supported by every platform.
Note: Please refer to these instructions if you have a room controller on iOS or Android.
You can start scheduled meetings as the host, begin an instant meeting, join a meeting using the meeting ID or personal link name, call a handset, or display instructions for setting up screen sharing on your desktop.
Scheduled meetings can be started as the host, install an instant meeting, join using the meeting ID or personal link name, communicate with incoming devices via H.323/SIP or display instructions on the screen for how to share your screen.
Contacts: Contacts can be viewed and instant meetings can be started.
- There are no external contacts shown in the room controller, only internal contacts (users and rooms).
- It is by default that your Zoom contact directory contains internal users within your organization, whose email address either uses the same domain as you or is the same domain as yours. If you wish to change this, you can do so by managing contacts.
- IM groups can be set up so that the Zoom Room’s contacts list does not include users with which you do not want to be associated; you can add all the contacts you wish to exclude from appearing in the Zoom Room’s contacts list to a restricted or private IM group.
You can change the audio/video settings for the room, such as changing the volume.
- For more information, contact Zoom Rooms Professional Services.
- You can find out about additional Zoom Rooms features on the Zoom Rooms website.
It should be noted that those who have already set up Zoom Rooms before November 1, 2015 may still apply their paid license to configure additional rooms.