It is possible to use the Code Snippets function on Zoom Chat so that you can copy and paste code right onto the chat window, and it will be highlighted properly for you. This function is usually found in text editors. In order to send code via chat, you send snippets rather than attaching an HTML file. The code will be formatted and syntax highlighted by Zoom, so that it will be easier to read.
A separate package must be downloaded if the code snippet is to be enabled.
Prerequisites for sending a code snippet
- This is the desktop client for Zoom
- 4.1.23108.0402 or higher for Windows
- 4.1.23108.0402 or higher for macOS
- And 4.1.23108.0402 or higher for Linux
- In order to enable this setting you must be the account owner or an admin
How to enable code snippet for the account
Code snippets can only be used if your admin has enabled code snippets at the account level before you can use them.
- You can access Zoom’s web portal by signing in.
- You will be able to access Zoom Chat by clicking the Zoom Chat button in the navigation menu.
- If you have enabled Code Snippets, you will be able to access the Zoom Chat feature.
How to display a code snippet
It is imperative that the code snippet button appears in the Zoom desktop client, once the admin has enabled code snippet. Click here to discover how to configure the Zoom desktop client.
- Access the Zoom client on your computer by signing in to it.
- In the top-right corner, click on your name, and then select the Settings option.
- Then select the Chat option.
- You can now check the box next to the button marked Show Code Snippet. Unless this setting is enabled by your admin, you will not be able to use code snippets.
- Click the Close button.
The Code button will appear on Zoom Chat.
How to download the code snippet package
On the first occasion that a code snippet is sent, a prompt will appear asking you to install the package that contains the code snippets. Installing Zoom once on your computer will be your only requirement, unless you uninstall and reinstall the program.
- Open Zoom on your desktop computer and sign in.
- Go to the Chat tab on the left side of the screen.
- There you will find the Code button located in the tool bar above the chatbox.
This will require you to install the package which contains the code snippets.
- Please click on the Download button.
This code snippet package needs to be installed, and then the code snippet window will automatically open after the installation.
How to send a code snippet
- In order to see the code snippet, you will need to enable it.
- You can do this by signing into the Zoom desktop application.
- Then select the Chat tab on the toolbar.
- Once that is done, click the Code button that is located to the left of the chat text box.
- You will now be asked to enter these details:
- Title (optional: You can enter a title for the code snippet if you wish.
- Text drop-down menu: Choose the type of code. This snippet is either a text snippet, an image, or something else.
- Wrap: In order to view long lines of text, this option should be selected if you want the text to be centered. If this option is not selected, then users will need to scroll horizontally to read long lines of text.
- Type or paste your code into the box.
- Then click the Create Snippet button.
How to view a code snippet
- In order to use the code snippet, make sure you have enabled it.
- In order to do so, sign up for a Zoom account.
- Then click on the Chat tab.
- In the chat window, select one of the threads containing the code snippet.
- You can view the entire code snippet by clicking View More below the code snippet message.
The code snippet will be displayed in a new window after you click View More.
How to copy a code snippet
- The code snippet must be enabled.
- Open Zoom on your computer.
- Select the Chat tab.
- Find a code snippet in the thread.
- When it appears in the chat window, hover over it.
- You will see an ellipsis (…) appear.
- Simply click on the copy button.
As you are doing this, the code will be transferred to your clipboard so that you are able to paste it wherever you want.