This post was most recently updated on July 28th, 2022
As a Zoom administrator or owner, you can select the Children’s Education Status option to demonstrate that your organization uses Zoom products for educational purposes and if so, that your organization limits this use to children under 18 years of age.
- Zoom will only accept signed consents of Superintendents, Principals, Administrators and Teachers in order to comply with its Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices. As a result, Zoom will require your organization to re-sign its Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices on an annual basis upon renewal.
- The Children’s Education Status setting must be enabled both by international customers as well as United States-based customers.
- Zoom requires that all customers who provide educational services to children less than 13 years of age subscribe to Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices by signing the Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices.
- You are not required to e-sign Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices if you are an international customer who provides educational services to students under the age of 13.
- It is possible to enable this setting, however, if you are under 18 years old, it will not allow you to create any new accounts.
- Contact your Customer Support Manager (CSM), if you have any questions
Prerequisites for self-reporting in the Children’s Education Status setting
- Account for education
- users with admin or owner privileges
How to sign up for a Zoom account with the Children’s Education Status setting
Until the necessary e-signature process has been completed by authenticated administrators and educators in the U.S. whose organizations have ticked the box for under 13 years old, the account cannot be used.
There is a Zoom Paid Education Plan that is available to you
For schools or any other organization offering educational services to children under the age of 18 through Zoom products, the following steps must be taken to sign up for a paid education account:
In the Config Products section, you will need to complete the following:
- For more information on Zoom for Education, please visit the website.
- Once you have reached the Zoom for Education section, simply click on the Buy Now button.
- To start a Zoom Meeting:
- Select how many licenses you need.
- Select the Education plan.
- Select the Annual subscription cycle.
- You can also choose Additional Options from the menu. If you do this, follow the prompts.
- Cloud Recording Storage: In addition to the 100 GB, 500 GB, and 3 TB of storage that you already have, you can also increase your storage by 100 GB, 500 GB, or 3 TB to store, stream, share, and download recordings from the Zoom Cloud.
- Audio Conferencing: Allow your participants to dial in to a toll-free number (available in more than one country) from anywhere in the world for your meetings, webinars, or spaces.
- Large Meeting:
- Adding more interactive participants to your meetings (up to 1,000) or adding speakers to your webinars can be very helpful to you.
- The licenses purchased for Large Meetings must then be assigned to users through the User Management website in order for them to receive the capacity increase.
- Conference Room Connector:
- Make sure all desktop, tablet, or mobile devices, Zoom Rooms, as well as all SIP or H.323 endpoints can communicate with SIP or H.323 based room systems.
- Please click the Continue button.
- In the next step, you will have the option to add other Zoom plans if you wish. Click Next if you wish to select other Zoom plans.
The Skip This Step option allows you to continue without selecting other Zoom plans that are available.
Complete the Create Account section
- The best way to use your Zoom account for the paid plan is to log in with your account if you already have one.
After completing the Sign Up section, you will be redirected to the Payment section. This step occurs as soon as you enter your email address and password.
- Once you have successfully created your account, you will be given ownership of the plan.
- Make sure you confirm the date of your birth.
- Continue to the next step.
- Create a password for your account and enter your personal information, including your name, address, and e-mail.
- You will then be prompted to continue.
Make sure that you have completed the Payment section
- You need to enter your billing contact information under the Billing Contact section.
- Click on the Sold To Contact section to enter the following information:
- Select the Same as Bill To Contact check box if your Sold To contact information is the same as the above Billing Contact information. If it is, proceed to the next step.
- In the event that the invoice’s Sold To contact information is different from the invoice’s Billing Contact information, you should deselect the Same As Bill To Contact check box.
- Next, type the Sold To contact information in the appropriate field.
- You may click the Verify Tax Exemption Status button if you wish to do so.
After being redirected to ECMS, you will need to confirm that you are exempt from paying taxes.
- You will find this under “Payment Method”.
- Please enter your card information if you wish to pay by credit or debit card or through PayPal.
- By clicking the checkbox next to the Full Address field, you will be able to choose the same contact information as the one provided in the billing information.
You will need to enter your full address if your address differs from the Contact information listed above for Billing.
- Click Continue.
Complete the Review Order section
- Make sure that the charges on your order are correct by reviewing your order details.
- When you are ready to place your order, click Place Order.
You will be able to edit your order by clicking the Back button.
Zoom Free Basic Plan for Education
Signing up for a Zoom education account on behalf of a school or other organization that offers education services to children under the age of 18 is as easy as following the instructions below:
- To sign up for Zoom, go to zoom.us/signup.
- Input your credentials and your email address to complete the signup process.
Zoom will send you an email (email@example.com) to confirm your account.
- You will need to click the Activate Account link in this email.
When you click this link, you will be directed to a Welcome to Zoom page.
- Please enter your contact information as well as your password there.
- Please check the box labeled For Educators.
- The checkboxes below should be selected based on the age groups that your organization’s educational services are provided to.
- Click the Next button.
- Then fill out the required information under Add Organization Information.
- You then need to select your role as a member of the organization.
- It is important to note that if you were previously selected the Under 13 check box, but were now selecting the Other check box, you must provide the name of the administrator, principal, class teacher or system administrator that will sign Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices for the organization, as well as their email address.
- By selecting Other from the drop-down box you do not have to enter a secondary authorized party in the case where you previously checked the 13 to 15 and/or 16 to 17 check boxes for applicable age groups.
- You then need to select your role as a member of the organization.
- Click Add.
- It has now been made possible for users who selected the thirteen to fifteen and/or sixteen to seventeen check boxes to use their accounts without having to e-sign Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices document as long as they selected the appropriate box(es).
- In the event that you have selected the Under 13 check box, you will be directed to a page that will inform you that an email will be sent to you or the consenter with instructions for completing the education account activation process (see Step 8.1). If you or the user of the email provided consent to Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices, then your organization may begin using the education account.
- The Under 13 check box can only be selected if you are changing the recipient that will consent to Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices (optional). To change the recipient, click Change Recipient under the Under 13 check box.
- Under Change Recipient, please provide the Name of the Superintendent/Principal/Administrators/Teacher who will be electronically signing Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices on behalf of the organization, along with their email address.
- Then click Change.
An email will be sent to the consenter with instructions on how to complete the education account activation process. When the recipient of the email has consented to Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices, your organization may use the account provided that the recipient has given consent to Zoom.
How to renew your Children’s Education Status setting
A consent must be re-confirmed each year for users that have consented and have been verified. The account owner or administrator will receive a notification after 335 days of enabling or getting started with this feature, that re-certification must be completed within 30 days of the initial certification. After completing the registration process a confirmation email will be sent to the consenter with directions for completing the signup process for the education account. The recipient of the email must consent to Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices.
Within 30 days of the notification being sent, if no action is taken, the account will be locked. It may then be deleted after another 30 days if no action is taken.
Renew verification before account is locked
In order to receive notifications for your Zoom Education account, you will need to sign in to your account first. If the consenter agrees to the account activation process, you will be notified via email that an activation email will be sent out to them. There are several options available to you:
- Resend Email:
- In case the consenter did not receive the email, it should be resent.
- Change Recipient:
- If you would like to have Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices emailed to the recipient, please provide the email and full name of the recipient.
- Skip and Go to My Account:
- When you get the email with activation instructions for the education account, you need to follow the instructions on how to access your Zoom web portal account settings.
Renew verification after account is locked
Once you have logged in to Zoom Education, you will be taken to a notification web page that will display all the notifications. When your account is locked, you will receive an email notice. It will be the account owner or administrator’s responsibility to renew and sign Zoom’s Consent to Educational Data Collection Practices within 30 days of having their account locked so they will be able to use their account. There are a few options you can choose from:
- Resend Email:
- If you do not receive a response from the consenter, please resend the email.
- Change Recipient:
- The person whose consent Zoom intends to obtain educational data and whose email address they will provide should be listed in the consent form.
Resolve a locked account
You will receive a notification that your account has been disabled when you attempt to log in to your Zoom account.
The administrator of your organization or account will need to assist you. Account Administrators and Organization Administrators who complete the e-signatures within 30 days of a locked account will be reactivated if they complete the process within 30 days of the account being locked.
Sign in to your account and follow the prompts to access your account. However, if you have any questions, please contact your Customer Success Manager or Support.