This post was most recently updated on September 22nd, 2022
An alternative host for a meeting can be designated by the host when scheduling the meeting or by another Licensed user associated with the account. This means the alternative host will start the meeting on behalf of the host when the meeting is scheduled. Upon adding this user as an alternative host, they will receive an email containing a link to start the meeting, and a notification that they have been added as such. The alternative host will not be notified in an email when it is time to start the meeting if this notification is disabled on the Zoom web portal.
In case there is a link between the master and the sub account, then alternative hosts can even be used.
Note: If you are not certain what role alternative hosting is for you, check out a meeting to find out more about roles.
Prerequisites for designating an alternative host
- The Zoom desktop client for Windows and Mac OS, version 4.1.8826.0925 or higher, is required
- Zoom mobile app
- Each Licensed user must be on the same account and on the same iOS version
- If you are scheduling a webinar, the user who schedules the meeting must have both a license and the webinar add-on; the alternative host will only need to have a license in order to schedule a webinar
- In order for alternative hosts to be granted the host or co-host permissions over Zoom, they must sign in with the correct account
Alternative host limitations
- Using the join link found in the email or calendar invitation that the alternative host is sent, they will be able to start the meeting. This meeting will not show up in the list of upcoming appointments in the desktop client, the mobile app, or the web page when assuming an alternative host.
- A substitute host will not be able to schedule meetings in place of the host. Whenever possible, it is best to use scheduling privileges in order to set up a meeting on behalf of another user. As a Licensed user, you can choose to give another license holder the ability to schedule meetings, allowing them to become the host of those meetings in the event you cannot be present.
- The alternative host has the option of reclaiming control of the meeting if he or she joins after the original host. The original host, however, will remain in decision making control over the meeting. In the event that the original host regains control of the system, the alternative host falls into the category of a participant.
- It is possible for a host to assign a co-host to manage a meeting during the meeting instead of using an alternative host if they are attending the meeting but need assistance with managing the meeting. Click here to find out more about the roles of meeting hosts.
Read it also –
Designating an alternative host
- Join the Zoom desktop client by logging in with your Zoom account.
- You will then be able to schedule your meeting.
Once the scheduler window has opened, you can schedule your meeting.
- Simply click on the Advanced tab.
- To find other users that can help you schedule your meeting, enter an alternative name in the Alternative hosts field. As an alternative, if the name of the alternative host does not appear, the alternative host’s email address can be entered.
- You can opt to enable this option to allow alternative hosts to add or edit polls by selecting the check box next to it. The Zoom version 5.8.0 and higher are required to make use of this feature.
- After you have finished scheduling, you will be able to open the calendar you selected from the drop-down menu.
As soon as the alternative host is added as an alternative to the Zoom host system, they will receive an email informing them they have been added as an alternative host. This email notice can only be disabled by the alternative host in the Zoom web portal.
- Join the Zoom web portal by logging in.
- Go to the Meetings section of the navigation menu, then click the Schedule Meeting button to get started.
- You can view additional meeting options by scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking Show.
- Alternatively, you can enter the email address of the alternative host in the alternative hosts field.
- In the next window, click the checkbox next to the Allow alternative hosts to add or edit polls. Zoom 5.8.0 and larger are required to use this feature.
- In order to finish, click on the Save button.
In the event that the alternative host has not disabled this email notification in the Zoom web portal, then they will receive an email expressing the fact that they have been added as an alternative host.
- Sign in to the Zoom mobile app by entering your email address and password.
- Tap on the Schedule tab.
- Choose the Advance Options option.
- Then tap the Alternative Hosts option.
- Then you can enter the email address of the person (or persons) you wish to add as alternative hosts in the list or you can enter their name from the list, then tap OK.
- Added polls may be edited or added by alternate hosts using the toggle switch which can be toggled. You will need version 5.8.3 of the Android client in order to use this feature.
- To schedule an appointment, tap Schedule.
A new email notification will be sent to the alternative host so they know that they are now an alternative host, this won’t happen unless they disable this email notification in their Zoom web portal account settings.
- Join Zoom Mobile App by logging in with your Zoom account.
- Then tap the Schedule tab.
- Select the Advanced Settings option.
- Then tap Alternative Hosts.
- Input the username of the user you wish to add as an alternative host or enter their email address, then tap OK once you have entered this information.
- Alternatively, you can turn on the toggle to allow other hosts to add polls or edit already existing polls. The Zoom client version 5.8.0 or higher is required in order to take advantage of this feature.
- To complete the scheduling process, tap Done.
In order to notify the alternative host, he or she will now receive an email telling them that they were added to the list of alternative hosts, provided the email notification has not been disabled in the Zoom web portal.
- From the drop down menu, click on the button labeled “Schedule a Meeting.”.
- The section for alternative hosts is located under the Scheduling Options. Enter their email address in the Field for Alternative Hosts.
- During the check-out process, you should check the Allow alternate hosts to add or edit polls, if you wish to allow alternate hosts to add their polls or edit polls.
- Click Continue once you have selected your other options.
- Select the invitation recipients, save or send the meeting invitation, and then click Continue.
- Join the Chrome Extension by entering your email address and password.
- Then, click the Schedule Meeting button.
- When you are in the Scheduling Options, you will see a field for alternative hosts, which you have to enter the email address for.
- In the checkbox to the left of Allow alternative hosts to add and edit polls, select the checkbox to enable the feature.
- Click the Continue button to continue.
- Click Save once you have finished the invitation.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I assign a zoom alternative host?
- Open the Zoom Mobile App and sign in with your Zoom account.
- Schedule can be accessed by tapping it.
- To access the advanced options, tap the Advanced Options button.
- You will need to tap the Alternative Hosts button.
- As an alternative host, you will be asked to enter the person’s name(s) or email address, and then you will be instructed to tap OK after you enter those people’s names or email addresses, as well as how many of them you wish to include in your list.
- If you tap the toggle button at the top of the screen, alternative hosts will be able to add polls or modify existing polls that are already there.